Santon Premier Plus Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a santon premier plus unvented boiler with 2 thermostats. Top one is the boost and the bottom one is the general one. On the wall there are switches, One controls the boost and one controls the gerenal boiler - There are simple on/off switches.

When i switch both of the wall switches on the water heats up for an hour, reaches a temperature then then boost reset bottom clicks and it stops the water heating up which is fine as it stops it from over heating. This then means that unless i manually click the reset button it doens't heat up the water ever again.

If i only switch on the gerenal wall switch and leave the boost switch off the water doens't heat up at all - i have left it for 24 hours to see if i would.

If i put the heating on by the fuse box the water will heat up and the boost reset button with click and we are back to never having hot water again.

I cannot understand how to get hot water on a regualr basis. I dont understand if i need to swtich both of the wall switches on constantly, have only the wall switch to the general thermostat on constantly.

I used to wake up to hot water all the time with both wall switches on - but at that time i didn't switch the heating on as it was the middle of summer. It seems like whatever setting i have it on there is a problem with the water heating up a second time.

Please help me.

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
Do you have economy 7, or similar?

It may be that one of the thermostats (or elements) has failed.

You need to get someone to check it out, it's a ten minute job to check.

no i am on a standard electricial account. I checked which account i was on yesterday.

It was wierd because at 7am yesterday i didn't have hot water. But then when i got back from work at 18:00 i did. Very strange.

Should the santon just heat up the water to a certain degree and leave it for the rest of the day or should it keep it at a certain temperature?

I am tempted just to get someone out to do an annual service on it because its continually a nightmare

This is an unvented cylinder and not a boiler!

What provides the heating?

How many live there?

It will be a lot more expensive if you don't have a dual timed tariff.

But you seem so vague about your cylinder that I would not be convinced that you know what kind of tariff you have.

The whole idea is that heating of water and usually storage heating is done on night time cheaper electricity, usually 0030 to 0630 or similar times.

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is an unvented cylinder and not a boiler!

What provides the heating? - Electric Delonghi convection wall mounted heaters

How many live there? - Just me

It will be a lot more expensive if you don't have a dual timed tariff.

But you seem so vague about your cylinder that I would not be convinced that you know what kind of tariff you have - standard tariff, i rang british gas yesterday and asked them am i on an economy 7 tarrif and they said no. I have checked my british gas account and i am on the "standard tarrif"

The whole idea is that heating of water and usually storage heating is done on night time cheaper electricity, usually 0030 to 0630 or similar times.

Tony

Tony - sorry for my lack of knowledge but i bought this flat and had to figure everything out for myself, or try to. I guess you are right about being vague but isn't that why i am here? if i knew how to work it and had my hot water running perfectly i wouldn't be asking for advice.

I am not blaming you for being vague! Just making the point that it is so important to be on the right tariff for your system!

Hardly 10% of users have much idea of what is involved and how to use them efficiently.

I know a block of about 20 flats in Watford which were built with standard meters. After my first visit about two years ago only TWO have been changed to dual rate meters. Even though the saving in costs can be about 33% !

But you have not answered my questions.

Tony

Sorry, reading quickly I did not notice that, not many people do it!

With convection heaters they are inherently on peak and with a normal daytime job you would always be heating on peak.

With only you there and if you don't take excessive water use then there is unlikely to be much advantage in an off peak tariff. But I am only assessing what an "average" person would use.

Consequently you should set the time clock to continuous and normal and boost to both on. Your controls are designed to enable off peak heating as most users will have them.

Contrary to popular opinion, there is no advantage in switching the water heating off at any time as the heat loss is minimal.

Tony

I have previously set it so that both the boost and general switch are "on" but the boost thermostat trips the reset button when it reaches the desired temperature - the water is at the desired temp but then i have to manually reset the tripped reset button on the boost before it will reheat when it gets to cold again - if that makes sense?

Do i need to set the boost and normal thermostat in a particular way. to stop the boost from tripping the reset?

E.g so the boost temp is set lower than the bottom thermostat? or ther other way round?

the thermostats are numbers 1 to 5 (5 being the highest)

thanks for your help. i honestly appreciate it

I dont know exactly what you are resetting. You should explain that! The stat should be set lower than the tripping temperature.

It sounds as if the lower element has failed ( or you have not correctly set the timeclock )

You may need to call an engineer to check it.

Tony

On each thermostat there is a little reset button to click when the thermal cut off trips.

The boost thermal cut out trips occasionally but the thermal cut out on the lower stat never does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back