• Start date
i'll chase that up,sorry been busy with the cold snap. :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Wel well well, still no reply so I'll publish the latest data

Last month
Average COP: 1.19
Total free energy: 293.9 kWh
Average free power: 394 W

ive got a sanyo running equiped with data logging equip for a direct comparrison against an altherma,both the same heating layouts just different engines to use for our own market research into actual design and performance criteria acheiveable.

We'll have to see whats what after the cold snap we're in the middle of.

Well Lee, the December cold snap is well over now and its 4.0° outside here at 0020 so how are those test units performing?

Tony

If many ASHP owners are disgruntled, then I must be a gruntled one. My Sanyo co2 ASHP 4.5 kw was commissioned the week the snow fell last November. This last week, with average Scottish January temperatures, it's costing about £5.50 a day to run.
We keep the living areas at 21 degrees. The only issue is a shortage of SHW but that's because I accidentally undersized the pump.
The floor area is 320 sq ft with underfloor heating. The house is triple glazed , super insulated and airtight (well, nearly).
I calculate that with a Renewable Heat Incentive rebate of £1,000, my net annual heating bill will be about £500.

Sponsored Links
I've a mate with a NIBE air source and it is costing him, sorry the house builders a forture in bills. It is costing approx £200 a month to run at the moment with an annual bill of £1500 not so cheap. He would be better putting in gas or oil heating which he has control over. And yes the housebuilder, manufacturer and installer say its working correctly, I don't think so as the info says it cost approx 300 quid or there abouts per annum.

had a quick chat with aguy chaisng this up,theyre putting the figures down to a few things but there are no certain reasons why

firstly geographical location and annual temperature.
secondly age of unit
thirdly lack of internal design info.

they have a comparative set of data from a new unit with the uk that they supposidly are going to send through to a few of us that were surprised by this data. Lets wait and see what a uk installed unit can do before shouting how poor they are based on a unit in scandanavia.

RHI....LOL!!! Anyone waiting on the feed-in-tariff is in for a shock.

We've fitted NIBE on a couple of contracts where they were specified, what a load of c.ap they are and their ASHP is certainly not designed for our cold damp climate. The Trianco ASHP is just a Pool heater, so to try & heat a home with one of them is plain daft, but hey I guess that's why they went t.ts up!!

We did a job in the West Highlands a few years ago, it was a water source HP, all underfloor heating. I spoke to the home owner last week, he was delighted with the running costs. If I get the data he promised me I'll post it up.

A few more sensible posts like those and you could be back in the CC !

Oh goody!!! I can't wait to return to that particular black hole Tony. I'm sure it's still such fun with all the CC/CCCs & CPSs, trying in vain to improve their limited skill, knowledge & intelect!!

ASHP and GSHP are, to a layman like me, basically the same technology with just the source of the heat being different. Is that a reasonable view? If it is, then one key factor affecting the COP is the temperature of the heat source. In real winter the ground is warmer than the air, so I would expect a GSHP to be more efficient, but there are times in the spring and autumn when you want heat and the air is warmer than the ground. At those times I would expect an ASHP to be more efficient. Is there something wrong with that theory?
We have a GSHP and I have been wondering whether it would be worth supplementing it with an ASHP to take advantage of the warmer air temperatures in spring and autumn. The data from the Finnish installation linked to earlier suggests this would not be a wise investment because the COP is never very impressive. I just don't understand why.

Yes, you are quite right it's the same technology of using a refridgerant to boost efficency on both ASHP and GSHP.
What you have said makes sense and cuts through a lot of bull.

Here in England we're (the trade) are still trying to asses wether GSHP/ASHP are any good.
The jury is still out on this one; I've had mixed reports, sme people think it's the bees knees whilst others are very dissapointed with it.

One thing that I've noticed though is that generally the more afluent a member of society is the more satisfied they are with their GSHP/ASHP. So maybe this factor is actually saying something.

Servotech,
(The technical grade plumber)

It's simples, if you can heat your home with emmiters that only require a lower temperature eg. UFH or fan convectors, then you have the optimum for any HP COP & home comfort. With ASHP when the outdoor temperature is <8degC the COP is rubbish. With a geothermal HP, as long as the ground loop is maintaining a fair temp. Then the COP is OK. However, with water source the water table can in some cases be a steady 12degC all year round, which is brilliant!! The system can be designed round that, with no flucuations.

We have installed HT ASHPs which are also OK on COP.
But, don't trust an HP salesman, they formally sold Double Glazing & speak with a forked tongue!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back