Sanyo ASHP

• Thread starter GaytonTonner
  • Start date
One thing that I've noticed though is that generally the more afluent a member of society is the more satisfied they are with their GSHP/ASHP. So maybe this factor is actually saying something.
That is an interesting observation. Maybe what it is saying is that the installation costs are relatively high so to get a good system you need to be able to afford a hefty up-front payment. Skimp on installation and you get a system that doesn't perform too well.
We took a middle route to cut the installation cost. The heat pump theoretically needed for a house like ours, based on size & construction, was larger (and more expensive) than the heat pump we needed based on the amount of oil we used the previous winter. So we installed the smaller heat pump but put double the amount of pipe in the ground whilst it was dug up. This gives us the option of adding a second heat pump relatively cheaply if we decide the smaller unit is not enough. For a couple of winters we were happy that the smaller unit was OK, but the last couple of winters have been colder and we are considering adding the second heat pump.

Sponsored Links
However, with water source the water table can in some cases be a steady 12degC all year round, which is brilliant!!
I imagine so. A 12degC source must be very good, but there is no way we could get that. Our property borders a large lake but in winter we can drive on it, and even in summer it isn't over 12degC for very long. Our heat source is a loop of pipe buried in the ground.

ASHP and GSHP are, to a layman like me, basically the same technology with just the source of the heat being different. Is that a reasonable view? If it is, then one key factor affecting the COP is the temperature of the heat source. In real winter the ground is warmer than the air, so I would expect a GSHP to be more efficient, but there are times in the spring and autumn when you want heat and the air is warmer than the ground. At those times I would expect an ASHP to be more efficient. Is there something wrong with that theory? We have a GSHP and I have been wondering whether it would be worth supplementing it with an ASHP to take advantage of the warmer air temperatures in spring and autumn.

What you must remember is how long is it over 12 dec ? A few hours a day. The rest it will drop back to below ground temps. Thus your ASHP would be good for the hours of 12.00-13.00 for 30 or so days a year hardly a great investment..
The data from the Finnish installation linked to earlier suggests this would not be a wise investment because the COP is never very impressive. I just don't understand why

When I posted that data it kinda took the wind out of his sales. He has been suggesting Sanyo UK can (and will) provide their own counter data. Sadly it's been 2 months of inaction which is worrying as the Finnish data is doing Sanyo ASHP's no good at all.If I was Sanyo I would have sent a team of engineers to investigate why the results were so poor to try to stem this PR disaster .Llet's see what happens...

The global HP cartel are clearly keeping the cost of these units high. Simply look at the £ for KW output price of a split unit compaired to AS or GS HPs.
You can buy a 5KW split unit for £400!!!

Rip of Britain as per normal. The worst thing that was done was give any grant funding for installations directly to manufactures or installers, you'll always get hiked prices. If the feed-in-tariff is shelved, then we'll get back to reality. The Labour UK Government made a complete a.re of that, like everything.

Sponsored Links
My guess is the HP market is very small for Sanyo, when you consider how much of a market share they have in AC.

ASHP and GSHP are, to a layman like me, basically the same technology with just the source of the heat being different. Is that a reasonable view? If it is, then one key factor affecting the COP is the temperature of the heat source. In real winter the ground is warmer than the air, so I would expect a GSHP to be more efficient, but there are times in the spring and autumn when you want heat and the air is warmer than the ground. At those times I would expect an ASHP to be more efficient. Is there something wrong with that theory? We have a GSHP and I have been wondering whether it would be worth supplementing it with an ASHP to take advantage of the warmer air temperatures in spring and autumn.

What you must remember is how long is it over 12 dec ? A few hours a day. The rest it will drop back to below ground temps. Thus your ASHP would be good for the hours of 12.00-13.00 for 30 or so days a year hardly a great investment..
The data from the Finnish installation linked to earlier suggests this would not be a wise investment because the COP is never very impressive. I just don't understand why

When I posted that data it kinda took the wind out of his sales. He has been suggesting Sanyo UK can (and will) provide their own counter data. Sadly it's been 2 months of inaction which is worrying as the Finnish data is doing Sanyo ASHP's no good at all.If I was Sanyo I would have sent a team of engineers to investigate why the results were so poor to try to stem this PR disaster .Llet's see what happens...

Not really, i sent your link to 2 people that have a big interest in how these products work in comparrison to other brand ASHP specifically CO2 against HFC.
Unfortunately ive not had time to chase or in all honesty the interest to chase,primarily because the data as real time as it is is installed in a climate that isnt even on comparison to ours nor is the product the newer eco set.
Should the dat have been form a site in london,the midlands etc then id certainly be pushing to know whats wrong,the fact that the unit is still above 1.5 seems to indicate that its far better than LPG,oil etc. the fact that the low outside temps dont affect the unit i would like to see the data for a comparitable HFC unit in the same location.

In the mean time weve installed a sanyo eco and a altherma in identical new builds,both have heat meters and loggers attatched which we will use the results from to see how viable both products are against each other.

i'll ask the question again,but im in no rush to chase answers on old technology installed on foreign soil.

What you must remember is how long is it over 12 dec ?
Why 12? It is important how many hours per day the air temperature is above ground temperature, which is almost always well below 12, at least it is here.
You make a good point though. I'll try and find some more detailed temperature figures and do some more calculations.

The global HP cartel are clearly keeping the cost of these units high. Simply look at the £ for KW output price of a split unit compaired to AS or GS HPs.

Rip of Britain as per normal. The worst thing that was done was give any grant funding for installations directly to manufactures or installers, you'll always get hiked prices. If the feed-in-tariff is shelved, then we'll get back to reality. The Labour UK Government made a complete a.re of that, like everything.

You're not comparing like for like. The sales of wall mount splits far exceeds ASHP's and hence economies of scale come into it.
Plus there is far more technology in a ASHP than a 400 quid wall mount.
Plus plus the split market is a mature one so like most aged goods cost is driven down (along with quality)
Plus Plus plus the £400 unit you mention will be a cheap **** Ebay special which will have no sales back up and spares will almost be certainly non existent in a years time.

We are talking about Quality manufacturers such as Sanyo and Daikin.

lcgs";p="1914830 said:

Not really, i sent your link to 2 people that have a big interest in how these products work in comparrison to other brand ASHP specifically CO2 against HFC.

I haven't received any links?
However there is a big debate on how efficient CO2 actually is. In the refrigeration industry it's being seen as less efficient than HFC's. However I have had long discussions with a UK GSHP manufacturer who has suggested R410a is a poor HP refrigerant . Sadly the Japanese have been forced down this route by the politics of refrigerants so CO2 was seen as a 'friendly' alternative.

Unfortunately Ive not had time to chase or in all honesty the interest to chase,primarily because the data as real time as it is is installed in a climate that isn't even on comparison to ours nor is the product the newer Eco set.

I believe it was the last generation CO2 system. Performance increases in small %. To write off the old kit is a fudge and you know it.

Should the data have been form a site in london,the midlands etc then id certainly be pushing to know whats wrong,the fact that the unit is still above 1.5 seems to indicate that its far better than LPG,oil etc. the fact that the low outside temps dont affect the unit i would like to see the data for a comparable HFC unit in the same location.

You stated this:

the Sanyo unit will produce useable heat through out its working range all the way down ast-26 to a cop above 2 at those low temperatures,

It has been shown by that data that it hasn't got anywhere near -26 yet has failed to average anywhere near 2 !

In the mean time weve installed a sanyo eco and a altherma in identical new builds,both have heat meters and loggers attatched which we will use the results from to see how viable both products are against each other.

My argument isn't between Sanyo and Daikin. I rate all Japanese as of a similar quality. My argument is they are all pretty poor and are oversold to customers who end up paying through the nose for either higher running costs than promised or repairs which will stun domestic customers in 5 years time when Fridgie tells them it's 2k to change the compressor.

i'll ask the question again,but im in no rush to chase answers on old technology installed on foreign soil.

I'll tell you what I'll ask Sanyo and get back here.

Old technology ?? I thought CO2 was NEW technology!

Foreign soil or not the system isn't up to much and a Sanyo CO2 system averaging 1.5 COP is a poor investment in anyone's book..

You're not comparing like for like. The sales of wall mount splits far exceeds ASHP's and hence economies of scale come into it.
Plus plus the split market is a mature one so like most aged goods cost is driven down (along with quality)
Plus Plus plus the £400 unit you mention will be a cheap s**t Ebay special which will have no sales back up and spares will almost be certainly non existent in a years time.

No, I'm not comparing like for like. You not only have a very poor COP with these ASHP & greatly overpriced, you also have to buy emitters with the your ASHP!!!

You're not a HP manufacturer's ex Double Glazing Salesman are you??.................... :LOL: :LOL:

What you must remember is how long is it over 12 dec ?
Why 12? It is important how many hours per day the air temperature is above ground temperature, which is almost always well below 12, at least it is here.
You make a good point though. I'll try and find some more detailed temperature figures and do some more calculations.

12 isn't that important. What is important is the higher the temperature the higher the COP. Part of the failure of these systems is that salesmen spec to the system ratings IE 12kw @ 7 C. They carefully omit to tell the customer that at 0 c the rating maybe down to 8 kw which leaves the space under sourced. The thing runs 24/7 burning electricity and never gets to set point.
They also under size the heat emitters (rads underfloor) to keep the price down, so have to up the set point of the water temp. This kills the COP as anything over 35c the system loses efficiency as a % per deg C

Poor salesmen, poor technical specifiers and poor installation engineers are doing the industry a whole lot of harm.

Plus Plus plus the £400 unit you mention will be a cheap s**t Ebay special which will have no sales back up and spares will almost be certainly non existent in a years time.

No, I'm not comparing like for like. You not only have a very poor COP with these ASHP & greatly overpriced, you also have to buy emitters with the your ASHP!!!

You're not a HP manufacturer's ex Double Glazing Salesman are you??.................... :LOL: :LOL:

I'm a time served engineer with 30 years in the trade as hands on and 25 years as a SME. .. That experience has led me to believe the Japanese make higher quality equipment than the rest of the world. I am happy to stand toe to toe with anyone on that one...
(This reality is being slowly learnt by the Americans who are seeing the 'ductless' split market booming against their old 'wind and tin' junk.)

Back on topic:
I haven't sold ONE ASHP system nor am I likely to either in the near future as I have already stated I believe they are 2 generations away from being remotely 'good' and I don't want the hassle of customer phoning me up moaning about their fuel bill every day/week/month/year

I agree 100% RB. I've friends in the US HVAC trade, and believe me they're the first to agree they're miles behind the rest of the world when it comes to heating.

Of course split units are an older technology, but £ for KW they're much much cheaper than any ASHP. Any blown air type heating is cr.p, you'd know that if you lived with it. In every respect UFH is the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back