Sash windows leaking - job for a carpenter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some sash windows which have been leaking for about 3 years (being only 5 years old!) They were installed by previous owner and have zero paperwork - I knew they were dodgy before buying the property and now want to get them sorted.

Photos show damage:

Exterior 1st floor, damage visible on bottom of fascia boards

Ground level, cracks now appearing along bottom of all boards

Interior view, where water has started to make it through

I originally thought the roof might be letting in water which dripped inside the casements from the top, and was rotting it from the inside. I've now have had the roof inspected and they are pretty sure it's fine.

This leaves me to think that the water is coming in via the windows. Most like explanation is the exterior facing panels must have expanded and contracted in the heat/cold (it's south facing), water has got into those cracks and caused the rot from within.

I've also noticed that this only happens when the rain is blow against the window, which makes me more certain it's not a roof problem.

I think the best action is to pull off each fascia board and make replacements, ensuring they have proper allowance for expansion/contraction and all gaps are properly sealed with flexible beading all the way around. Whilst the fascias are off I can also inspect the inside to see if there are any marks which show where the water came from.

My challenge is working out what to do about it. A sash window guy said he didn't fancy doing this as the windows were "made by a builder". Two general window companies said it was too small a job for them to work with. Should I ask carpenters to quote or find a general handyman? I'd do it myself but it would take me too long around work and I can't risk leaving windows exposed to weather.

Note there are two of these bays, one on ground and one 1st floor, so some sort of platform would be required to work up there.

The house is in Sussex if anyone here would like to quote or recommend anyone. I'd be looking to have it fixed early next year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back