Satellite cable for 30m to 35m run.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need to buy a satellite cable for a 30m to 35m run. Not sure if i will have a single cable or twin cable. I have read about WF100 cable but i have seen so many types of cable for sale. Can anyone help please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but i don't need 100m that makes it very expensive. Even if i ran two seperate cables i would have to throw between 30m and 40m away.

Sponsored Links
Twin or two singles?
  • for performance, there's no difference so long as the cable is the same in either configuration
  • time to install: longer for two singles; it's just more hassle
  • cost to install: higher; you're going to use a hell of a lot more cable clips (^cost) and it's going to take a heck of a lot more time to bang them all in to try to keep the two cables together. It'll never look as tidy as a single run of twin, and you'll have a lot more holes in your pointing

Cable choices:

Cheaper RG6 (CCS copper coated steel with aluminium braid) as single or twin
  • lower cost
  • even with the more reputable brands you'll still have considerably more DC resistance than with pure copper, which means the voltage from your box to power and switch the LNB is going to have a harder time reaching its destination. The signal coming back from the LNB is also subject to higher losses because the CCS cables have higher attenuation
  • is there a trustworthy spec / Is there even a spec? There's a lot of cheap rubbish on the market which has worse specs than the reputable CCS. Beware
  • Shorter lifetime - encounter reliability problems earlier - replace sooner: Aluminium oxidises in the presence of air and moisture. Aluminium with power running through it oxidises even faster. If you happen to knick the cable sheath as you're banging in those clips then moisture will get in along with air. I have seen new cables die inside 18 months. How much would it cost you to redo the work?

Copper twin (WF100 twin or some other CAI approved all-copper cable
  • costs more
  • likely to have a trustworthy spec with lower DC resistance and less attenuation
  • outer jacket made of better grade PVC - more resistant to knocks - lower risk of water ingress
  • wet copper cable still lives for years
  • fit once and forget

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back