Satellite radio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no FM reception, no DAB reception, so to get to radio 4 I have to use the TV. I know with the cheap old satellite boxes there is audio out, but need some thing to see what I am tuning to, so TV on, select channel then TV off.

But is there a satellite radio made? So I don't need it linked to TV to select channel?

Sponsored Links
You could probably do that with a s/h Sky box.

No need for the TV to be on. Press SKY to switch on box if off, then key in 0-1-0-4; hey presto, Radio 4. All the radio stations work in the same way.

As long as you know the channel keying sequence then I dare say a small Freeview box would work in a similar way.

The only thing to be aware of is either miskeying or not having the remote pointing at the box for one of the key presses. I use/program/supply touchscreen remotes that use IR relay kits to solve this issue. They're pretty-much bulletproof in this respect.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
the humax foxsat HD box has a numerical display on the front, so it should be easy to just remember the relevant numbers and select them directly without having a tv. and it has audio out phono sockets on the back!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-FO...815838&hash=item2cf6ac31fe:g:FsAAAOSwbXpdh5iq others are available from the same site, but check your local gumtree as well

ps dont get the newer smaller box as that doesnt have a display

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back