Satellite TV via internet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a digital satellite box that receives French tv channels (I think from Eutelsat 5 deg. west) so that my wife can watch the tour de France on the French channels. I took the dish down to do some redecorating and now need to get it all set up again.

However, before I go to all the fuss of mounting the dish etc. it appears that you can get international channels straight from the internet. Has anyone here ever done this? It looks a lot less hassle and the house will look better without the dish, I'm just not convinced that the free software you can download is legal and/or will do what it claims, without doing other questionable things to my pc.

I'd be happy to pay for legitimate software, I just don't know if it's available.

I'd be grateful for any guidance

Jever

Sponsored Links
Personally even if streaming of certain channels over the internet was legal I would still be more inclined to use a dedicated sat dish/box for it as you are less likely to have issues (obviously bad weather permitting), wont go over internet allowance, suffer congestion issues etc.... There might be some questionability of certain streaming software/sites which given the current situation with the kodi boxes etc... I suspect ISP's will be being forced to crack down on certain streams.

Not sure if France have anything like tvcatchup/catchuptv which is/was essentially streaming of Freeview channels over the internet. It might also have the channels your after if they are part of the Freeview channels (maybe eurosport? probably not though)

I suspect ISP's will be being forced to crack down on certain streams.
Already happening. I recommend reinstalling your existing system. Anything you get via the Internet will then be a bonus/ fallback in bad weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back