Satinwood over gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

While decorating a bedroom, I took the windowsill, skirting and architrave back to bare wood. It was a miserable job, and I'm never doing it again, but it looks nice enough - although the gloss did cover a multitude of sins.

The other wants to move, and I'm not replacing/stripping the rest of the rooms. I was thinking about painting them with water-based satinwood, which will require a primer over the now bare wood - I'll probably use Zinsser 123.

Question: if I wanted the rest of the house to match, can one just sand down traditional gloss, then repaint with water-based satinwood? I figure I'd probably need a primer first.

If neither is likely to work well, I might just give in and re-gloss the bedroom trim.

Sponsored Links
I'd just do all the skirting boards with Johnstone's Aqua undercoat and then Johnstone's Aqua Satin. The undercoat will adhere to bare wood and to any oilbased satin assuming it has been sanded down.

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your reply; it's good to know that I won#t have to spend quite as long on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back