Satinwood vs Eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys...

I have a quote to do for a lady who requires all of her skirtings, door frames and x20 8 panel doors throughout the house to be re-painted. All are painted in Satinwood at present and are all in excellent smooth condition already, they really just need freshening up.

Would I need to sugar, rub, u/c and t/c or would a good rub and a t/c suffice ? Or just a rub and two coats Satinwood ?

Dont want to be a "bumper" but existing woodwork is REALLY good and with this many doors to do will make a big difference to quote.

To make me even more confused I have also been asked difference in cost and effect of using Satinwood vs Eggshell - and am panicking as I have never even picked up a tin of eggshell in the 3 years I have been doing this !

Whats the best way to go ?

Sponsored Links
No problems here:
A light, wet, rub with 100 wet/dry, then......................

Crown Solo Satin, goes on a treat and beautiful finish.

As above . Satin wood is probably better because it is more servicable and can be wiped easier like gloss. Eggshell although a similar finish, not quite as much of a sheen, nice to use but has a more open grain, and can hold finger marks that will not wipe off. satin wood goes on very nice and you should be able to pick a bit of speed up. Lot of doors which will take you at least 15 mins a side.

ok... I think Satinwood will be the way to go - but would I still need to do two coats or would one generous one be enough ? I know that Satinwood looks good with two as is "self undercoating" but if the surface is good already how much impact would that have ???

Sponsored Links
You might get away with one coat if the surface is not too discoloured and clean, but two coats will always look better and the satinwood goes on so easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back