Saturated fat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Carnt get my head round this one so need to ask the fountain of knowledge that is GD !!. Just been the doc's who said I have high cholesterol so to show willing I went and bought those little yogurt drinks and a tub of Flora pro-active which says all over the pack it reduce's cholesterol and has a heart on it but here's the thing i'm using up a tub of Flora light as i'm half way through it and I notice on the tub it contains 0.7g of saturated fats so i look at the tub of Flora pro-active and :eek: it contains 1.0g of saturated fats so whats going on because i always thought it was the saturated fat content you had to watch out for???

Sponsored Links
You need some saturated fat in your diet but not as much as what most people eat. As we also eat far too much carbohydrates the saturated fat becomes a problem. So reducing your red meat intake and avoiding the chunks of fat on the edge of your meat is far more important than taking some yogurt.

But at the end of the day the problem is the amount of carbohydrates we eat - it stuffs up insulin levels and insulin is absolutely crucial to almost everything when it comes to how our diet impacts the health of our bodies. Just remember the fat levels in your blood is the result of a complex series of processes and not just what you stuff in through your mouth. Insulin is at the centre of all these complex processes, and insulin levels and carbohydrate intake is linked.

Straight question - do vegetarians tend to suffer from high cholestoral levels?

See here for sat fat vs cholesterol argument.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html

Lipids are fat-soluble substances.

Blood lipid measurements generally include total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides.

Cholesterol is an odd thing: That carried by High Density Lipoproteins (HDL) is good, that carried by Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL), bad.

The important one to watch is the LDL.

LDL is deposited on the walls of blood vessels and HDL is transported to the liver to be broken down. It then binds to fibre and is excreted.

EDIT: WRT the veggie question, I'm not sure about the UK, but US figures are as follows:

Cholesterol.png

Sponsored Links
Most cholesterol is produced by your liver for the function of repairing the body.

Fook all to do with carbohydrates.

Most cholesterol is produced by your liver for the function of repairing the body.

Does that mean that if yuo have high levels of it then there's a lot of reparation going on?

It is also used for the production of testosterone & oestrogen.

The body produces all the cholesterol it needs itself.

Any you take in as part of your diet is not needed.

Says the man who left secondary school aged fourteen. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it is rather foolish of you to argue with somebody who left medical school aged 25 :)

Am I going to have to get inside your head again.....

See here for sat fat vs cholesterol argument.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html

Lipids are fat-soluble substances.

Blood lipid measurements generally include total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides.

Cholesterol is an odd thing: That carried by High Density Lipoproteins (HDL) is good, that carried by Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL), bad.

The important one to watch is the LDL.

LDL is deposited on the walls of blood vessels and HDL is transported to the liver to be broken down. It then binds to fibre and is excreted.

EDIT: WRT the veggie question, I'm not sure about the UK, but US figures are as follows:

Cholesterol.png
If thts what the levels are meant to be im fooked :eek:

Total less than 5 mmol, LDL less than 3 mmol is what's advised in the UK.

Says the man who left secondary school aged fourteen. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it is rather foolish of you to argue with somebody who left medical school aged 25 :)

Am I going to have to get inside your head again.....

Pity an education like that was wasted on someone so unintelligent eh. :rolleyes:

Do you want argue the point?

Has anyone ever heard the expression "romancing the truth"? :rolleyes:

Are you honestly trying to tell us chapeau that you went to medical school for a few years for any other purpose than as a janitor or cleaner (although it is possible of course that you were there as a case study :idea:) :confused:

Has anyone ever heard the expression "romancing the truth"? :rolleyes:

Are you honestly trying to tell us chapeau that you went to medical school for a few years for any other purpose than as a janitor or cleaner (although it is possible of course that you were there as a case study :idea:) :confused:
NOW THEN NOW THEN !!

You gotta look at the history of this - he cut me up while I was queuing to turn right and, slamming on my brake to avoid going into the back of him, I spilt my packet of bombay mix. There's still some bits of dried dahl which we can't get the vacuum cleaner to :confused: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, and joking apart, I'm very curious about these claims of extended study and would like clarification of who or what this chapeau is claiming to be.

Sponsored Links
Back