Savile again

I do not take sides on this but "Trial by Media" and "Guilty until proved innocent" come to mind.

Sponsored Links
I do not take sides on this but "Trial by Media" and "Guilty until proved innocent" come to mind.

It's the only kind of trial Savile's going to get now he's dead. That is no reason to ignore the flood of allegations against him that are surfacing now.
There seem to be plenty of allegations against other people coming out now too, so hopefully there will now be a proper investigation of them at least.
It's looking more and more likely now though that some of that tv showbiz culture of the time stank of child abuse.

I wonder how this thread will end? :rolleyes:

What else is the media for?
For those who remember the Pepsi ad from the 70's, this is my answer and take...

Selfservin' gossipquenchin' sh1tstirin' libelriskin' badbuzzin' lietalkin' eavesdroppin' soundbitin' moneymakin' celeb-bashin' Media!

Remember one important thing, good news doesn't sell papers! Would you prefer to know who I slept with last night or how much I put in a charity box?

Now if you'll excuse me I've gotta take a cuppa up to Kylie Minogue and have a shower... :D

Sponsored Links
This isn't just the usual tabloid sensationalist sleeze allegations though is it?
There is a lot more substance to this story than that, with some pretty serious stuff coming out. In the so called serious press at that.
Even though Savile is beyond retribution now it warrants a full and proper investigation to see whoever else may have been involved.
Let's hope it gets one, and I hope that that poor girls diary is still in existence and can be examined again with more open mindset than the one which led the police and a coroner to dismiss her allegations as childish fantasies.

One thing about these allegations,is the Sun behind any of them,if so are they to be believed after all their track record isn't that great is it.

This isn't just the usual tabloid sensationalist sleeze allegations though is it?
There is a lot more substance to this story than that, with some pretty serious stuff coming out. In the so called serious press at that.
Even though Savile is beyond retribution now it warrants a full and proper investigation to see whoever else may have been involved.
Let's hope it gets one, and I hope that that poor girls diary is still in existence and can be examined again with more open mindset than the one which led the police and a coroner to dismiss her allegations as childish fantasies.
So serious that those who claim to have worked there/witnessed/heard about it etc thought it necessary to do nothing and go along with it rather than report it.
Still they do nothing more than get themselves in the papers - whilst still refusing to give pertinent information..

Savile's guilt is indisputable, it's a question now of how many other rich and powerful people were involved.
The fact that people at the time couldn't/wouldn't speak out points to there being quite a few.
Let's just hope for a full and proper investigation with no cover ups, even though that sounds naive to say the least.

If this was all put before a court of law and you were a jurist, although you may well not be able to return a verdict based on "incontrovertible evidence", would it be fair to say that you'd be somewhat inclined to go for "guilty beyond reasonable doubt"?

If Saville were alive and in the dock and not stood up for questioning and refused to make any comment at all, which is in effect exactly the situation we are in now, would you release him based on insufficient evidence?

whoooosh

that was the sound of calorifics post going right over your head. :rolleyes:

If this was all put before a court of law and you were a jurist, although you may well not be able to return a verdict based on "incontrovertible evidence", would it be fair to say that you'd be somewhat inclined to go for "guilty beyond reasonable doubt"?

If Saville were alive and in the dock and not stood up for questioning and refused to make any comment at all, which is in effect exactly the situation we are in now, would you release him based on insufficient evidence?
That’s a toughy for me Calorific because

A) Why are people coming out now that didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t before and
B) The second any celebrity hits the news it’s hard to hear the truth over a thousand people singing out like a town crier “Oh ye, oh ye.. He done it! He’s guilty!” (Which is exactly what is happening).

How much more difficult is it to come out now that he is dead than when he was alive? If the answer to that from each and every single one affected is “just too difficult” or “I’d buried it deep within my tortured mind” I would still have thought the fact that he could be prosecuted in the living would be the greatest incentive and revenge, (if that is sought), of all. Correct?

I guess I’m guilty of posting on something which didn’t happen to me, thanks goodness, and therefore am seeing it logically. But then I’m a fine one to talk when I admit I’ve done irrational things in my life when hurt, under stress or in love. I’ve also lost count of the people I’ve seen act bizarrely in my job who are suffering and in turmoil.

But, for me, it still begs the question why now and not before. It’s not like he could have issued a fatwa on anyone so, to my logical way of thinking at least, it has to be as painful to do this now as it would have been before. Does this make sense to anyone or am I being too clinical or analytical?

I don’t want to come across as insensitive, because that’s not who I am. But at the same time, even if the odds of someone not being guilty as accused is a-million-to-one we should nonetheless be careful not to hang them. That is why hanging was abolished after all; well one of the reasons...

I think you are basing your doubt on your incredulity and righteous indignation as a father.
There's nothing wrong with that, but there are now so many independent "victims" speaking against him and so many inner circle people speaking of the culture he operated in, that it's undeniable what happened.
How it happened and who else made it happen is the big question.

I think you are basing your doubt on your incredulity and righteous indignation as a father.
There's nothing wrong with that, but there are now so many independent "victims" speaking against him and so many inner circle people speaking of the culture he operated in, that it's undeniable what happened.
How it happened and who else made it happen is the big question.
I agree with you there but, with respect, that still doesn't answer my question. I know I'm like a dog with a bone here but...

How much more difficult is it to come out now that he is dead than when he was alive? If the answer to that from each and every single one affected is “just too difficult” or “I’d buried it deep within my tortured mind” I would still have thought the fact that he could be prosecuted in the living would be the greatest incentive and revenge, (if that is sought), of all. Correct?

Have police interviewed a certain **** poor comedian since allegations were made?

Sponsored Links
Back