Saving heat from my fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large fireplace in France and have installed a wood burning stove.
However I am losing alot of heat up the large fireplace.
Is there any foil backed board stuff I could fit in the large hole to reflect the heat back into the room ??

Thank you !

Sponsored Links
Do you have a flue fitted through a register plate? If so the only heat loss should be through the flue.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically, I have the stove sitting in the fireplace and the flue attaches to the top of the stove, straight up into the chimney. There is no metal plate fitted. Another room has this but I had to have this made to measure.

I have a vision of all the heat escaping up the open chimney and would like to fit some sort of foiled backed sheeting myself that can be cut easily.
The other room has a thick sheet of metal with vent holes drilled into it. When fitting another stove in that room I went through a bag of Saw blades cutting the flue hole. :(

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
You need to make an Air Tight seal around Flue Pipe. No shortcuts I'm afraid. You can do it with sheet metal or a cast insitu Concrete slab. The sheet metal option is easier, cut joint out in brickwork right around top of opening, slide metal plate in from front and cement it in all along the joint. The front edge should be held up by a piece of 1inX1/4in water bar or similar also sealed airtight. The hole for Flue should be cut before final Fixing of plate. Measure ,and mark it clearly with a Compass or draw around piece of Flue Pipe. Get Engineer to Flame cut it for you or as Iv'e often done, drill lots of small holes with drill and file out or clean up with Rotary Grinding Wheel in your drill. Easy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back