sawing mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate of mine was using his dining room chair as a prop to cut mdf.

The soft get cut right through the chair :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Mate of mine was using his dining room chair as a prop to cut mdf, soft get cut right thriugh the chair lol

I did that, and sawed right through my thumb! Doubt your mate sawed right 'thiugh' the chair, but made an impression on it.

nope cut right through the top of it.

Blimey! I recall an ex work colleague of mine, was a right weird person, great to get on with, but dressed like Slash out of Guns and Roses, and bought Pot Noodles in bulk, lived off them.

He once had a task of cutting polystyrene into strips for some reason or another, then wondered why they were going red in colour. The maniac was only using his thigh as the cutting 'bench', and had sliced his leg to ribbons, but was unaware. Maybe because he liked the 'other' type of pot too much also.. :LOL:

Another time, we were doing software distrubrution to 200+ schools, and he took it upon himself to edit one of the masters to include an acid house type smilie, with a rude word. A quick reprimand, and a very quick recall ensued. That cost a few man hours!

Sponsored Links
Many years ago a sprky on a job I was doing was installin storage heaters and the chippy onsite used one as a workbench . cutting the top neatly in half with a circular saw after cutting a floorboard down
Phill

Ive also got another mate who is a carpet fitter who cut hos thumb off at the knuckle with a stanley knife while laying no-slip lino in a disabled bathroom.!!!!!

I did a similar thing when cutting kitchen worktops with my shiny new plunge router.

After a few runs at 8mm depth increments I thought "Shouldn't I have cut through by now?", so stopped in mid-cut and realised I'd neatly routed an 18" long groove in the top of my workmate.

I tell people its a pencil/drillbit recess... :LOL:

was on site many moons ago,and another chippy was cutting out a sink,went to offer it in and it dropped all the way through the hole,the fella only cut it the same size of the actual sink it self,watching him while the penny dropped in his brain seemed like an age,im afraid i did laugh its the rules.he wasnt that embrassed........MUCH :LOL:

was on site many moons ago,and another chippy was cutting out a sink,went to offer it in and it dropped all the way through the hole,the fella only cut it the same size of the actual sink it self,watching him while the penny dropped in his brain seemed like an age,im afraid i did laugh its the rules.he wasnt that embrassed........MUCH :LOL:

That really is something I would do, if given half the chance. I made a new rear gate in the living room, that has laminate flooring...You can see where this is going already...Yes. Once assembled, it was stuck fast to the floor. oops. The nails were slightly too long, so the gate is a type of iron maiden, if you get too close. I didn't consider how I was going to hang the gate, so the stay for it has never really worked, so the gate is 'difficult' to open now, and is generally referred to as 'the wall'..

I used to build display kitchens for a well known shed. One of the subbies cut a hole for a sink and it fell right through. Got him another length of worktop and he did the same again.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Another subbie fitted a built under oven into a display and forgot to screw it into the cabinets. The display was sent to a store in Northern Ireland on a lorry trailer. Sadly the oven didn't arrive in one piece.
A forklift driver was loading a kitchen display onto the back of a trailer and managed to drop the display about 5 ft off the forks onto the ground.
Another display was sent out to store with a Belfast Sink wrapped up with it as the worktops were fitted in store. 3 days later the store phoned and asked where the sink was. I brought up the photo of the display on my computer and told them it had been sent with the display. Eventually, the store manager admitted , he'd sold the sink to a customer before the display was fitted. ;) ;) ;)

The display was sent to a store in Northern Ireland on a lorry trailer.

This begs a question... if you can knock up a flatpack kitchen, truck it across land and sea, taking knocks from speedbumps, vibration from the tyres and swaying from the ferry, then install it in a shop getting opened and shut and slammed, climbed on by children, and the kitchen stays in one piece for a few years looking nice...

... why do many "professionally installed" kitchens end up wonky and shoddy after a few month's normal usage! :LOL: :eek:

The displays used to get a bit of instore maintenance to keep them looking good !!!

The displays were built onto "Pods" on wheels. A bit like a metal frame with an 18mm MDF backboard and floor. All perfectly square and straight. Base and wall units were put on and actually screwed through from the back of the pods. Main problem we had was, quite a few of the displays were tiled between worktop and wall units. The grout used to fall out whilst being transported to store.

The displays used to come back to our place after a few years in store, were taken apart and chucked in skips. Almost all of them never came back complete though. Customers in store had a habit of nicking bits off them. Door handles, sink taps etc.
I sent one display out with a dvd/flatscreen tv mounted below the wall units, and the dvd/flatscreen never arrive in store (either the lorry driver or someone at store had it away. :eek:

Saws have caused similiar accidents in my experience.
I've cut through a saw bench before now and a cable or two with a planer.
I've seen a lad recently making hard work cutting ply with a circular saw , he was cutting on the ground and cutting a groove in the tarmac as well.
Then once when putting a floor down I was working with a guy who always wore overalls, and he dropped some boards down , cramped them up , nailed them and then went to stand up. No prizes for guessing what had happened, his overalls were trapped between the boards pinning him to the ground :oops: :D .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back