scaffold tower or scaffolding company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking to work on the roof of a coach house which ivy has run riot on an the roof is in a poor state. There is a sloping extension running from the house up to the coach house and this roof also needs attention. I am debating if the purchase of a 5 Meter high mini scaffold could be used with scaffold planks to access the roof areas. Or I would need to get a scaffold company in. I have no idea how long I would need to repair the roofs and no idea if scaffold is charged by the week etc. The one side of the coach house is on a slope so not sure how a mini tower would cope with this?
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_145956_resized_20220531_032440136.jpg
    IMG_20220531_145956_resized_20220531_032440136.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220531_150015_resized_20220531_032629267.jpg
    IMG_20220531_150015_resized_20220531_032629267.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220531_150300_resized_20220531_032555117.jpg
    IMG_20220531_150300_resized_20220531_032555117.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220531_150304_resized_20220531_032512765.jpg
    IMG_20220531_150304_resized_20220531_032512765.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
You are supposed to use portable scaffolding towers only to work from, not as a means of access to a part of a building such as a roof. This is because they are not designed to withstand a great deal of lateral loading, such as that which exiting onto a roof ladder (or climbing back down off one) might cause. In other words it ain't a safe way to use them.

Is it listed?
a friend lived in a similar one.
if doing a complete reroof, the side roof could be altered to follow the stable roof.

I believe that scaff is basically charged for the build, not so much the time it is up.
you might find that you have to live with the scaff a bit longer than you need.

Sponsored Links
Hi
No not listed as far as I know only moved in a month ago. There are problems with cracks running up from the arch and a wooden prop has been stuck in the doorway by the previous owner so considering blocking it up and making a new door way through the lower section. Thanks for the info re the scaffolding

Is it listed?
a friend lived in a similar one.
if doing a complete reroof, the side roof could be altered to follow the stable roof.

I believe that scaff is basically charged for the build, not so much the time it is up.
you might find that you have to live with the scaff a bit longer than you need.
My scaffold was limited to 8weeks, seems to be a shortage so some give time limits.Had a small independant scaffold company once with no time limit.

its pretty standard to have a time clause on scaffold, after usually a month then you pay rent maybe 5 %week some charge a bit more..
There are one or two around that are a bit more chilled if you pay when it goes up.
The only issue is there is no financial incentive to take it away after.

If you have more projects or this one could take you some time it might be worth buying some, you will be able to sell it on afterwards.

its pretty standard to have a time clause on scaffold, after usually a month then you pay rent maybe 5 %week some charge a bit more..
There are one or two around that are a bit more chilled if you pay when it goes up.
The only issue is there is no financial incentive to take it away after.

Surely the financial advantage is that it can then be hired out to someone else for a fee?
Once you have a finish date you ask them to remove it, say a week later, and if they don't turn up you have the right to stop paying for it. If they leave it, or do not remove it within a reasonable time frame, (say 2 weeks), then I would inform them if it is not removed within one month you will legally assume ownership of it.

If you go over time and pay rent . The moment you say ok we are done. You don't pay .
Chances are they won't rush unless they need the gear . Most companies have more than they can use .unless of course , they are very small.

If you go over time and pay rent . The moment you say ok we are done. You don't pay .
Chances are they won't rush unless they need the gear . Most companies have more than they can use .unless of course , they are very small.
Yes. Why take it down and transport it to the yard when you can leave it up (benefitting from free storage), then dismantle it and shift it to the next job when you need it? Saves you manhandling it off the lorry at the yard and back on again for the next job, too.

I'm no expert with staff hire but it does seem that most staff moves from job to job rather than returns to base?
I'm not sure how you'd manage to legally claim ownership unless they have left themselves open in the contract.
I'd bet you they had a clause that said they would remove it at a mutually convenient time or some such?

We've had a lot of staff at work on the building and it comes very early, and leaves late compared to the work being done. Maybe there's an extra charge for prompt removal?

Never had that. All you do is tell them when you need it to be gone by - and if they don't shift it on time, and you are getting charged "standing time" by a subbiewho can't do his job, you just tell them you will be cross charging them. It's amazing how fast they can drop a scaff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back