Scaffolding bridge for roof repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm considering purchase a 3-bedroom semi-detached 1930s house with solid brick walls.

The property has a garage to the side with a slanted roof made of polycarbonate.

• The roof has some cracked tiles, mortar crumbling between the ridge tiles, rotten wood fascias and asbestos sarking felt.

I believe scaffolding would be required to remedy these issues but the garage on the side with the polycarbonate roof (won't support load) means that any scaffolding would need to span the length of the property (scaffold bridge) to enable safe access to the roof.

Am i correct in this assumption?

I imagine a roofer would resolve the issues within a few days (weather permitting) once given access.

How much is the scaffolding likely to cost? I'm imagining around £1,000 for a weeks hire?

View media item 105723

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
curium, good evening.

if you look @ the 4 boxes immediately below right of this page [where you press the "post reply" her is another box there where you can "Upload a file" that is what you need for images.

As an aside? can you temporary remove a few of the poly sheets from the garage roof to allow Scaffold pole access?? gust a consideration??

Ken.

Your pic shows an original brick with parapet front garage elevation.
Are you saying that the roof behind the parapet is a "slanted polycarbonate" roof?

It could be that the original flat roof failed(leaked) and was then left in place but covered by the polycarbonate?
If so the polycarbonate could be entirely removed, and the flat roof used as a base for scaffing up.
Later the flat roof could be repaired - no poly needed.

Without some pics of the side & rear elevation of the garage, and a pic showing the garage roof itself - then its hard to give you accurate advice?

But working with whats given so far it would be a simple matter to scaff a bridge from front to rear over the garage and its roof - no need to be fooling around removing, & re-fixing roof sheeting.

FWIW: vertical scaff tubes are known as "standards".

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned with the £8k asbestos removal costs

O dear. You reckon as much as that? I was led to believe that sarking felt was separate from the main roofing felt and it could possibly be done by lifting the bottom row of tiles a few at a time and replacing the sarking in that area.

If that is not the case then it would seem more economical to price the cost of the whole roof since the scaffolding will be in place.

The reason for my Question is that this type of Sarking Felt is unusual and could generally only be determined by a test?

This type of material can occur in areas, that is small pockets, in a localised vicinity, it is possible that your intended property is in the middle of a cluster and as such is a well know [in this area] as being a potential problem?

Do you know of a test having been undertaken and its results, as I believe the Vendor must disclose this type of information?

The reason for my Question is that this type of Sarking Felt is unusual and could generally only be determined by a test?

This type of material can occur in areas, that is small pockets, in a localised vicinity, it is possible that your intended property is in the middle of a cluster and as such is a well know [in this area] as being a potential problem?

Do you know of a test having been undertaken and its results, as I believe the Vendor must disclose this type of information?
The solicitor will raise it but unless they can be certain it's not, I'll have to budget on the assumption that it is if I'm going to proceed with the purchase.

Are you saying that the roof behind the parapet is a "slanted polycarbonate" roof?

It could be that the original flat roof failed(leaked) and was then left in place but covered by the polycarbonate?
If so the polycarbonate could be entirely removed, and the flat roof used as a base for scaffing up.
Later the flat roof could be repaired - no poly needed.

- then its hard to give you accurate advice?

it would be a simple matter to scaff a bridge from front to rear over the garage and its roof - no need to be fooling around removing, & re-fixing roof sheeting.".
wot a lotta BS :ROFLMAO:

curium, good evening, again.

Any mileage in asking for a drop in price to account for this Asbestos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back