Scalding hot water and heating / hot water confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys / girls,
I have scalding hot water and cannot get my central heating and hot water to come on independently. I have replaced the gauge which clamps onto the side of the hot water cylinder, fitted a new control panel and even put a new three way valve on in a bid to solve these two issues. This morning after fitting the new valve the hot water came on as requested but the heating came on too even though the switch on the panel said 'off'. Before I fitted the valve we had to have the heating on if we wanted hot water, which is a pain in warm weather. Can anyone offer me tips or guidance on what else to try please?
Thank you very much!
Doug Shields

Sponsored Links
I am sure that had you called a professional at the beginning you would have had a properly working system at less than you have spent!

We cannot guess what your problem is from the internet!

Call a professional is my advice!

Tony

Thanks for that. Sadly four experts have been round so far and charged me each time. The first one, a lady, told me it was because of the room thermostat, fitted a new one which made no difference.

Three months later I called in another expert who told me it was not the Pom thermo, which coincidentally had been wired wrongly, and suggested it needed a new control panel. They supplied a new control panel, charged me. It made no difference.

Six months ago I called in a third expert who told me the problem was the tank thermo, supplied one, fitted it, charged me. Still no change.

Yesterday a fourth expert came round after telling me it needed a new valve. That was another £70. And still this morning I have scalding hot water and heating which comes on at the same time as the hot water when it shouldn't.

So I was hoping I might finally get some advice from someone helpful.
[/b]

Either The system is wired incorrectly ( no doubt the valve ) or the valve is installed wrong.
Domestic heating controls are easy, I can understand your fustration that 4 engineers have not solved your problem
Post some pictures of the valve and its wiring connections and we will go from there
Do you have and can use a multimeter by any chance?

Matt

Sponsored Links
So far we know what doesn't work. Is there much left that is untried?

BTW, there could be a as yet undetermined root cause that is ruining the fixes put in place so far. :(

Thanks for the responses. Over the weekend i will write down makes and models of all the parts and take some photos of the wiring. Yes, he charged me £70 as that's how much the valve was from Screwfix. i saw the bill.

Also i know the new valve works as i heard it working yesterday morning, the fact it turns the hot water on is good, but it just kick starts the central heating now as well. for years it has been the other way round. Something is forcing the water to be constantly heated as the temperature was 85 when the plumber measured it the other night. Hot enough to make a cup of tea with

Thanks for the responses. Over the weekend i will write down makes and models of all the parts and take some photos of the wiring. Yes, he charged me £70 as that's how much the valve was from Screwfix. i saw the bill.

So why no labour charge?

I do have to say that tracing the wiring looking for wrongly wired components can be quite time consuming if all the parts are not in the same place!

If wrongly wired I often find its associated with the cylinder stat as that seems to pinpoint a lack of understanding in some installers.

Tony

For a start you could turn down the main thermostat on the boiler, if its working correctly then to get 85 degrees water temp the central heating water must also be at 85 degrees also, unless your immersion is also on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back