Scalding water but intermittent heating on timer - 'Ideal'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a brand new house with an 'Ideal' Classic boiler - i think they're supposed to be env friendly; they are! It doesn't stay on! We have scalding water, and the radiators have those independent thermostats on them, so the hallway is the only place that the main thermostat is supposed to control?

I've complained to the house builders - they originally said was a manuf problem; got manuf out who replaced the circuit board (and received a shock in the process!).. Got back the house builder installers and the electrician found some 'wires had been crossed'. they spent 3 hours on the wiring....

I'm confused! The housing company set the main thermostat (located at the opposite end of the hallway to the radiator there) to full. They told us that the radiators independently control the heat in each room. They've set the dial in the hot water cistern to around 75 degrees, so water is very hot. We were told to ensure the hot water is switched on when the heating timers are set to on, which we've done

What now happens is that when the central heating is on the timer, it comes on for an hour, does'nt really heat the rooms to a comfortable level, and switches off, even though the control panel says it shoudl still be on. this would be ok if the rooms were at the desired level of heat. The only way we can override is to switch the dial in the hot water cistern to a higher temperature, say 80 degrees and we can hear the heating come back on.

I don't think that the heating should be dependent on the hot water temperature in the cistern, but should be dependent on the thermostats in each room?

If we stick the control panel onto 'Once' or 'Continuous', the same happens

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be, or a way for us to ensure that the rooms heat up a bit more, before it switches off??

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sponsored Links
When the heating "goes off" can you make it come back on by turning up the hall thermostat? A typical setting is around 20 Celcius. This 'stat turns off the whole space heating (not the hot water).

Try turning down the hall rad until it's nearly off, does this help?

There should be instructions from both the manufacturer(s) and the housebuilder, and a "benchmark" boiler service logbook too. Contact the housebuilder for these.

The hall thermostat is set to maximum - up as far as it will go; the builder said it has to be this high, because the individual radiators are controlled by their individual thermostats. If you turn it down, at about 22 degrees it does click but nothing happens

If turning up the HW cylinder stat brings the CH on, the wiring is definitely wrong.

The cylinder thermostat is set way too high. If you put your arm into water at 75º, you'd get full thickness burns in about a second. Turn it down -try around 55-60. You shouldn't need anyone else to do that for you.

You need the wiring to be fixed first. The CH system has to be "balanced" so all the rooms get hot. That may not have been done.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back