Changing a heating/water programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a programmer at the moment which is a honeywell one. It only lets me put the water and heating on at the same time, If we set both to the "twice" setting. We cannot set the time for the water/heating independently.
We want to be able to program the times separately so that we can set one program for water and one for heating.
Are they relatively easy to change.
Also I have a thermostat switch that is in a room not heating up because of no radiator in that room. What is an easy option to move the thermostat to the hallway.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
There must be some reason why you system only allows heating and hot water at the same time, so more information about your system would be helpful.

1. Make and Model of boiler
1. Do you have a pump?
2. Do you have a motorised valve? If so what is the make/model no?
3. Do you have a thermostat on the side of the hot water cylinder?

I think it is just the programmer but could be wrong.

My boiler is a Potterton small little square one. Not sure of model but can get this if required.
I have a heating pump a thermostat on the boiler and also a Zone valve not sure what that does though.
Could I put a wireless thermostat in to replace the current one and just leave the heating on constant?

Many thanks, in advance for all your help.

I just thought that I can put the heating and water on separately e.g. on constant the only problem i have is that it only has one timing program. Surely that is just programmer specific. Are they easy to change over. There is a junction box in the airing cupboard that has the cables off elsewhere and to the programmer there is only one cable would this be a fairly easy changeover or should i call a plumber or electrician in??

Thanks,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
If only it was as simple as just changing the programmer, but it all depends on what type of system you have.

You say that you have a zone valve. Do you mean the type with only two pipe connections?

If so this will probably control the flow through the central heating. This can be confirmed by turning the room thermostat up and down and listening to the valve open/close.

If there is no valve in the flow to the hot water cylinder, then there is no way of controlling the hot water separately from the CH when the CH is on. This is why your time switch only allows HW only or HW and CH but not CH only.

If only it was as simple as just changing the programmer, but it all depends on what type of system you have.

You say that you have a zone valve. Do you mean the type with only two pipe connections?

If so this will probably control the flow through the central heating. This can be confirmed by turning the room thermostat up and down and listening to the valve open/close.

If there is no valve in the flow to the hot water cylinder, then there is no way of controlling the hot water separately from the CH when the CH is on. This is why your time switch only allows HW only or HW and CH but not CH only.

no i can just put the heating OR the water on if i want on constant or timer but haven't got a seperate timer program for each one which is the problem.

You have not answered the questions I asked earlier. It would be helpful if you could.

Is this correct or does the valve have 3 ports?

D_Hailsham said:
If only two ports, this will probably control the flow through the central heating. This can be confirmed by turning the room thermostat up and down and listening to the valve open/close.

Please confirm this

D_Hailsham said:
If there is no valve in the flow to the hot water cylinder,

Please confirm this

faggster said:
no i can just put the heating OR the water on if i want on constant or timer but haven't got a seperate timer program for each one which is the problem.

The reason you do not have separate timer programs for CH and HW may be because it is not possible. It all depends on the circuitry and the control available. That is why is asked my original questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back