Scallop wars and Fishing Quotas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems a very odd situation that allows fishing boats based in France and Spain to trawl waters off of Scotland and for Scottish boats to Fish off Normandy. The fuel cost alone for a Scottish Trawler round trip would be around £40K minimum

The backdrop

Surely its better for local trawlers to fish local waters, meaning the French fish Normandy and the Scotts fish Scotland. I think the EU argument is that would leave the UK better off given that EU fishing quotas are shared.

Seeing the humorous side, I'm not sure I'd be ramming a huge Scottish trawler with a steel hull in my little wooden boat.

Sponsored Links
I can see the frustration of the French, they dont fish the scallops for that period of the year in order to allow stocks to build and it must be really annoying that the English fleet are in there now fishing them.

On a wider note, the whole fishing quota system is nuts. Throwing caught fish back dead in the sea is just a crazy system.

And as for the UK allowing quotas to be traded like shares.....

£40k seems awfully expensive for fuel.

Apparently the incident is in international waters, it's just more evidence the EU is bonkers re the fishing policies and historically past governments of this county betrayed the fishing industry. Fishing ports are pretty far from London after all.

@Notch7 Scottish Trawlers not English is my understanding - I think my numbers might be too high as I was looking at peak consumption of the engine in a typical 18M steel trawler with 2.5 days sailing each way. 72 hours at 30-45 litres an hour (given the size), but some other info suggests they are more like 18-20 litres per hour and struggle to manage 10kts

Sponsored Links
It appears that the situation is not quite so 'black and white' as the little englanders/ukers would have you believe...

Linky

"The owners of a fishing boat at the centre of a clash with French vessels in a battle over scallops have previously been fined thousands of pounds for catching undersized shellfish, government records reveal.

Macduff Shellfish (Scotland) owns the Honeybourne III, hull number PD905. It took the craft over in 2016 from Macduff Fishing Fleet.

Both firms have been prosecuted and fined for breaching fishing regulations in recent years, according to government documents."

Maybe the French were just protecting the scallop stocks?

"France restricts the fishing season between 1 October and 15 May and catches are only permitted beyond a 12 mile exclusion zone off the coast. The rules are designed to maximise breeding. British boats can harvest scallops at any time of the year, but generally agree not to fish when their French counterparts are unable to do so."

Whatever is fair in war and Brexit? ;)

The area concerned is the main Breeding ground for Scallops, British Fishermen had an unwritten law along with the French Fisherman not to fish during the breeding season, however the British Fisherman have gone in ( as they are entitled to) and scouped up the scallops, leaving the rubbish for the French

I think I can understand why the French Fishermen are P****d off.

Nothing like Good relations to enhance the Brexit Talks :)

*** repeated racial goading removed ***
!]
Aww bless..

The *************doesn't like the uncomfortable truth getting told!

===========================
Abuse. Barred from thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold on a second...
- This happened outside French territorial waters, otherwise French restrictions would apply restricting non-french vessels from fishing (full stop)
- the two trade bodies normally agree restrictions which see French boats restricted from British waters in exchange for respecting the French restriction. This year the trade bodies could not agree, so both grounds are open to all EU boats.
- French boats scoop up vastly more fish from "British" waters than we do "French".

Managing the stock is of course a great thing, but it should be applied fairly.

*** repeated racial goading removed ***.
Funnily enough I don't care what you think...You still have a right to think it of course.

However you denying the truth because of your own agenda needs pointing out!

But hey, that is the same MO that generations of hate spouters have followed...

Luckily there are many more nowadays who are happy to show you and your ilk up for what you really are!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back