Scam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure whether to post this in computer hardward or software so figured maybe more people would see it here in GD

My sister-in-law got scammed yesterday. She had a phonecall from someone claiming to be from Microsoft, telling her that her computer had probably been hacked as they've recorded her performing illegal activities on the internet. They convinced her they could resolve this by uploading some new software to her pc if she downloaded a small program and installed it to give them access to her computer - they told her they would cut off her internet access if she didn't do this and she would be able to get it up and running again. She gave them her card details and allowed them access to her computer and as a result she is now having to cancel all her cards, stop all her bank accounts and claim the money back for the 'security software' she 'bought' off them.

Just thought i'd post it here so others don't fall victim to the same con-men.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear that - hope she cancelled it all in time . 2 rules I heard recently - If someone you don`t know well offers to do something for you - ask yourself WHY . and If someone you don`t know approaches you and asks questions where you always reply yes - thats a scam too ;) I personally have always distrusted most people - Paranoid maybe but I ain`t got caught yet :mrgreen:

I always follow some simple rules when on the internet/phone:-

If people contact you and starting asking for personal details, ask yourself if they rang you, why don't they already know these things?

Never, ever give out your full password details to anyone - a legitimate company will not ask for them in full but may ask for 3 random digits/letters from them. If you give them three letters/digits and they say it hasn't worked and they ask for three different ones, don't give them any different ones.

Never download anything in an e-mail or from following a link in an e-mail unless you know the person who sent it to you or you specifically requested them to send you the file/link.

And just generally be a little sceptical and ask yourself, does this sound plausible. If in doubt, don't agree to anything and ask someone else if they think it sounds OK before doing anything.

Sorry to hear that, this also happened to me but I did not give anyone money or access to my computer

The guy was saying "you have a virus let me show you were it is"

I said "what PC do I have a virus on cos I have 8"

He said "just go to your main PC I will show you"

Then he wanted me to go to a website that allows you to download software that allows someone from anywhere in the world to take control of your desktop

This is so they can sell you a program that supposedly gets rid of a supposed virus, even if you don't have a virus they tell you that you have

Humouring him I asked him what website and as soon as he told me I said "you are not taking control of my PC"

Then a few minutes on google I found many websites alerting to this type of scam

What first made me suspicious was the fact he coudn't tell me the IP address of the PC that had a virus, because if he was aware that any of my PC's had a virus then he would also know my IP and then be able to find out via Virgin Media who I was I mean without this IP what links my PC to me? But he insisted on showing me on my main PC that's when I knew this was bullchit

How much was scammed from your sister?

Sponsored Links
EFCLee - she gave him card details to pay him £240 for the download to sort the 'problem' out. So he took £240 but he also had her card details and 20mins+ access to her her pc with all her online banking details on, so who knows what else he may have taken. As I say she's cancelled all her cards and put a stop on her accounts so hopefully he just took the £240 before she stopped everything else. Her CC company say they need to wait for the transaction to process on to her account but then they'll look to refund her the £240.

If anyone has been affected by this - send me a P.M and I`ll tell you how you can send me a tenner ;)

Surprisingly my own bank somethimes ring up and then proceed to ask me security questions. I cant believe they still do this, and they get uppity if I say so. (HSBC, by the way)

I always say give me your number and I will call you. Then check the number online (just enter it into google). If its kosher, and I want to talk to them , I will ring it.

When this same thing happened to me, I was suspicious so didn't give them any info but didn't do anything about it either. When it happened to my son, he put the phone down on the bloke and immediately phoned Microsoft who assured him it was a scam - he's obviously a lot more 'with it' than I am :oops:

Thank goodness your SIL used her credit card and not a debit card or she wouldn't be getting the £240 back :D

Old news....It's been reported in the media repeatedly....

You can pass on scam emails at this site.

Quite a good site as it happens.

Sponsored Links
Back