ATM scam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
folliowng my previous post "not paid"about my daughter not getting paid her salary, she finally got it last Thursday. she then went to an ATM to withdraw £100 ( after hours ) the machine swallowed her card someone behind her tried to get it out she then walked away went back to work, phoned to cancel card. but in the time it took to cancel ( only 7 mins ) the guy had somehow got her card and withdrew £400 hopefully the bank will re-emburse her as she told them quickly and got a police crime ref num
has anybody here fell for a "scam " like that ? and did you get your money back?

BTW how did the guy do it ?

Sponsored Links
easy.

the m/c she put her card in was not a real m/c it had a false front

it keeps the card and now has the pin, which is how the money was taken so quick.

i had a card swallowed by a m/c i stayed next to it while i cancelled the card

you may find this of use

Sometimes the scammers put a bit of xray type film in the slot with a split in it.

This jammes the card in and is easily disguised, they watch you type your pin, and then when you walk away they pull out the film and the card and extract the money.

The latest criminal technology "add ons" allows the card to go in and out so the transaction appears perfectly normal. But the add on has read the magnetic strip and stored or transmitted the data from it. They can now clone the card and use the pin from the video camera to take out money.

Sponsored Links
There was a program on TV about this type of scam recently. The scammer inserts a simple lo-tech device which traps the card. He then stands close to the victim and pretends to be using his mobile, but is really using the phone camera to capture the victim entering the PIN. The victim then assumes the card is stuck and goes off to phone the bank. The scammer removes the insert and card, uses the cashpoint with the recorded PIN and job jobbed.

ATM crime has been about for years, started by shoulder surfing for pins and then distraction techniques to grab card.

The original tampering equipment used to acquire cards was known as a "lebanese loop" which was just a loop of thin metal fitted inside the ATM that would stop the card being read or released. The guy behind in the queue would offer advice like "the screen's probably frozen, try putting your PIN in then press cancel" quick peek at the PIN and then grab the card when the mark moved away.

Next trick was just to stop the card coming back out and installing a camera above the keypad to get the pin. Mug would get the money out but card would get stuck. Thief would go up straight after and remove the loop and card and get to the next cashpoint before the card was cancelled.

Skimmers and camera's removed the need for actually stealing the card, they could be cloned and then used to withdraw money up to maximum limits for a few days before the account was cleared or fraudulent activity was noticed. Cloned cards could also be used to make purchases in stores. If you hadn't actually lost your card you might not notice any activity until next statement. so this made things very profitable for criminals.

Chip and pin was meant to stop this kind of fraud but now as Dara O'Briain says "They don't need to forge your signature anymore, they just look over your shoulder in Boots and then nick your card"

The other one I heart of was the person using the phone to just key the pin into so they can remember the PIN number.
I think the method you refer to Ignorian is called the Lebanese loop:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_loop
There are all sorts of scams ongoing, like has been said putting a false face on the machine which swipes the magnetic strip so it can be cloned, cameras capturing pin numbers, though the camera in the link above is massive in comparason by todays standards!! for example http://www.swann.com.au/s/products/view/?product=346.

Too slow!!

I can remember a spate of thefts in our local newspaper that were simple distractions.

Team of two would wait until the mark gets his card back from the machine and then first crim "excuse me, you just dropped a tenner". as the mark turns to get the tenner the second crim lifts the wedge of cash from the ATM. Costs a tenner a go but the worst you can do is break even. If someone is taking out their rent money then the crims hit the jackpot.

I'm always suspicious of ATM's. I check the slot, run my hand on the upper inside face to make sure there is no camera (usually pinhole camera in a stick-on cable duct). I stick my hand over the keypad and type my PIN by feel not sight. I'm always aware of people getting too close and I won't use one if there's people hanging about.

poshman said:
folliowng my previous post "not paid"about my daughter not getting paid her salary, she finally got it last Thursday. she then went to an ATM to withdraw £100 ( after hours ) the machine swallowed her card someone behind her tried to get it out she then walked away went back to work, phoned to cancel card. but in the time it took to cancel ( only 7 mins ) the guy had somehow got her card and withdrew £400 hopefully the bank will re-emburse her as she told them quickly and got a police crime ref num
has anybody here fell for a "scam " like that ? and did you get your money back?

BTW how did the guy do it ?

finally nat west have paid up, so a happy ending for once

Last week at ATM lady took receipt and walked away. Then realised she had left her £20. She went back but an IC3 male about 49 had grabbed her money and refused to return it.

She held on to him and telephoned police who arrived about 5 min later.

Although they retrieved hew money they let him go even thought there was an independent witness as well as the woman!

Tony

poshman said:
the machine swallowed her card someone behind her tried to get it out she then walked away

Why didnt she say 'oi, why you trying to get my card'? :rolleyes:

rob884 said:
poshman said:
the machine swallowed her card someone behind her tried to get it out she then walked away

Why didnt she say 'oi, why you trying to get my card'? :rolleyes:

maybe she was a little naive and trustworhy thought the guy was trying to help and he played the old trick " is this your £10 note on the floor " :evil:

BoxBasher said:
I'm always suspicious of ATM's. I check the slot, run my hand on the upper inside face to make sure there is no camera (usually pinhole camera in a stick-on cable duct). I stick my hand over the keypad and type my PIN by feel not sight. I'm always aware of people getting too close and I won't use one if there's people hanging about.
Abso-bleeding-lutely!

poshman - you need to get your daughter to wise up. I'm sure her innocence is appealing, but these days ATMs are dangerous waters, with sharks ever-circling.

I prefer the ones inside banking halls, but if outside with a queue of even one person too close behind me then I ooze hostility to the point where even a criminal would not approach.

Never use one of those ATM's that charge, they are in unregulated locations, usually corner shops and similar establishments and especially be careful when abroad.

In this country I only ever use one attached to an actual Bank or Building Society, it may mean a bit of a walk, but that extra piece of mind is worth it. As has been said above, be wary of those hanging about, even children. Whilst I would not say you need to be paranoid about the risks, being aware and wary is certainly wise, it doesn't take much, and could save a lot of grief as a result.

I hope your daughter gets her money back.

Sponsored Links
Back