Scandal? Possible Worcester Bosch Boiler known fault with fan PCB [large numbers affected?]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After my boiler again developed an issue with the fan after the boiler was switched off for some time, I have read on this forum, elsewhere on the internet and seen many YouTube videos where the fault is discussed.

It seems to be a common fault that the PCB can blow if the boiler has electricity cut to it and then restored e.g. power-cut, isolation for maintenance, reinstallation, etc. I understand the issue no longer appears in newer models. C1 and C6 might be the error codes showing after a few minutes when the fan fails to start.

How many hundreds or thousands of owners could there be who did not know what the fault was or the cause of it? A significant number have posted the issue online, but unless you have some basic tech know-how and the desire to seek advice on forums, not many will be reporting it.

Potentially a class-action lawsuit?

Sponsored Links
Potentially a class-action lawsuit?
No idea, but there’s more than Worcester that suffer from having power interrupted. I don’t know why, and I don’t have the answer.

Manufacturers recommend yearly maintenance. How many people always do this ? Can you prove it is not just wear and tear ? Have you the funds to take on a manufacturer ?

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Obviously you are looking at a small number of folk with issue you mention.
How many millions of that component power WB boilers

I have been a boiler repair for over 30 years, perhaps changed two or three fans in all that time.

One issue that will kill the fan is if you have dampness or moisture settled on the pcb while it is depowered.
Mains voltage to drive FETs is often a cause of failure if (dampness) short circuit occurs.
Capacitors lose capacitance as die electric is lost. Again dampness ingression will kill the capacitor.
SMPS that powers drive circuit on the fan stepper motor can be rendered useless is capacitors on any such circuit are goosed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back