C1 Fan Error on Worcester Bosch 28 HE Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The C1 code is showing (error with fan) after I first first hear brief whirring-ticking, like the fan motor is trying to get going, so possibly more likely the motor as the display is normal until I attempt to run the boiler?

I realise this is possibly down to a faulty PCB, which could have been caused from electric surge if the fan itself is not faulty. The code occurred after turning the boiler on at the mains after it was off for over a week while on holiday. Can a simply manual on/off at the supply switch cause a surge and damage the PCB? Any better using the on/off switch on the boiler itself instead?

The issue has occurred before, after a kitchen refurb, so the boiler was disconnected and then when reinstalled the fan didn't work. Both now and then the boiler/fan gave about 9-10 years of good service.

Or could the fan not running for a period of time just seize up, making it difficult to get started cold?

Sponsored Links
Usually pretty accurate and probably fan fault, but get a gas safe registered engineer to check and or replace.

If it is a fan fault, what was the relationship between it failing after the boiler had been switched off and out of action for 10 days?

Power surge, some boilers don’t like being turned off, stupid I know, but i’s the truth. Could be fan pcb.

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is get Worcester out under their fixed price repair scheme

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I will be calling an engineer but would like to know what's going on if anyone can advise: C1 is a fan error code but in the video below there is an odd ticking sound that occurs for a few seconds after switching on the boiler and/or activating heating. It doesn't make that sound again (as you might expect if it's repeating an attempt to get the fan started) unless switching on heat again from off. The sound does not seem to have anything to do with fan itself as I disconnected it and the same issue/sound still occurred. The pump is running fine and is what can be heard in the video.

IMG_20230411_141655.jpg

The ticking sound is the diverter valve motor, it is supposed to do that when you switch the power on and off

The ticking sound is the diverter valve motor, it is supposed to do that when you switch the power on and off
It didn't make that sound when switching on/off before the fault started....

I have a diverter valve on a conventional boiler? I'll look it up in the installer diagram. Definitely not a combi.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back