Scary garage installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a wee PIR to do today.

Very old install, TT, Chilton ELCB (voltage type), VIR cable that crumbled just when you looked at it. 3 pin round sockets everywhere. One 13A square pin socket - on a lighting circuit!
The Wylex rewireable board was populated with all blue dot 15A fuse carriers - heaven only knows what fuse wire was in each.

The only slightly modern piece of wiring was a piece of 6mm T&E that was lashed to a length of washing line that went to the garage. On the end of the cable was this....

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

CIMG0041.jpg

CIMG0042.jpg

I wish we had a "Condemmed - do not use" label like the Corgies have!!

Sponsored Links
It beggars belief to think that the person ordering the PIR would waste their money :rolleyes:

Surely, even for an "ordinary person" a quick look says it's unsafe.

If it had belonged to an "ordinary person" for 60 years and nobody had died from it yet, they might not see that...

Oh yes. Well, the PIR was abandoned after the first 20 minutes and has quickly turned into a quote for a rewire :)

Sponsored Links
Has anyone here had to condemn an installation? I only know of one spark who had to do it, due to old round edge double sockets being fed in bell wire wedged between the carpets and skirting! I'm sure NIC have forms/stickers for doing this

Was this in St Fagons if not it should be a real museum piece. Don't let too many see it or you will get a prevision order and they will make it into a class 3 listed building!!!!

'Report of a potentially dangerous electrical installation' forms are supplied by Elecsa, others do too AKAIK.

I rang the board about a house where every single switch and socket had been smashed in, exposing lots of lovely live parts, strangely, the fault protection had either not activated, or had been reset. As far as I know all they did was remove the tails feeding the CU from their meter and re-sealed.

Can't see the problem meself.
Dust the cobwebs off to prevent tracking and 'bobs' your uncle.
You're just too fussy sometimes TTC, really! :LOL: ;)

Oh yes. Well, the PIR was abandoned after the first 20 minutes and has quickly turned into a quote for a rewire :)
..Well as this 1 year old post has been dragged back, what was the out come? Did they go for a re-wire?

Oh yes, house all rewired,
All electric heating (Electromax) and nice new garage install including a feed for a small kiln..
Luverlee jubbly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back