Scary things you find under dry lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As it says really. The plaster on the wall and around the window was very very wet and pretty much fell off (the windowsill was made of some sort of bonding coat, wall has a bit of a lean on it so thickness of bonding was anything from 5 to 50mm.
The bit to the left of the window was drylined but a bit wobbly so decided to pull it out. The space will be a small kitchen, needs complete rewiring and services which is the other reason I pulled the drylining out. And discovered this little horror story
Oh yes, its a single storey room- just above the top lump of timber above the window are the rafters.
History- I reckon the windowed part was always the kitchen with an outer single brick wall. Where the bricks are all hacked off (left of window) there would originally have been a half brick wall with a doorway in it leading to the pantry (you can see the huge groove in the original plaster from the shelves). The front wall of the pantry is only halfbrick but does appear to be tied in properly to the single brick wall. Unlike the old internal wall.
At some stage someone has ripped that wall out to make a larger kitchen. Which is fine but it leaves the comedy lintels (those bits of stick above the window) only being supported by soldiers from the outer skin of the single brick wall.
There isn't a massive load on those lintels/soldiers and it all feels quite stable but it looks rubbish and worrying. I need to make it look less worrying (and ideally stronger) since when I start wiring and Building Control come in to check the wiring out I can't see them being impressed by the current situation.
Question for you all- what's the best way to rectify without lifting the roof off and rebuilding entirely?
My thoughts so far are either;
a) A lump of 4 x 3 or similar running from floor to top lintel, fixed to the pantry front wall (the green surface) with a block on it supporting that top lintel and fixing the other rubbish sticks. Doesn't solve the brickwork but at least the roof won't be coming down
b) Build a halfbrick wall tied to the inner side of the single brick wall and the existing end wall (only about a metre wide) up to bottom of window level- so at least the random halves are resting on something
c) Support the lintel and roof with some temporary stick. Build halfbrick wall tied as above to full height, tie it into existing 'pillar' structure by carefully pulling out the roughcut halfbricks. And doubtless rebedding some (if not all) of the soldiers.
Any other thoughts out there?

Ta

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back