Scheme fees

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I shall start a new thread because I'm interested in other's views.
I thought the one in which I first posted was finished.

There was, before the 6th April, much postulating on this and lesser forums about whether, because of the reduced requirements for notification, it would be worth continuing to be registered.

Has anyone else thought - I have not seen it mentioned anywhere - that the registration fee could be considered worth it solely as eight pounds per week for being included on the Competent Persons Register and, depending on which scheme you join, the Electrical Safety Register and the Electricsafe Register.

Unfortunately for Napit members they cannot be on the ESR whereas members of the other two schemes can be on all three.

The schemes say they are going to promote these sites to the public, so we can only wait and see.

Another 'good' thing about the changes is, I would think, there will be no kitchen fitting or similar companies on any of the registers.

Sponsored Links
I shall start a new thread because I'm interested in other's views. I thought the one in which I first posted was finished.
Laudable :) It used to be my view that it was reasonable to extend/diversify/whatever a thread once 'it was over' (in terms of the Op having been satisfactoirily answered), but is seems that some people are not totally happy with that.
... the registration fee could be considered worth it solely as eight pounds per week for being included on the Competent Persons Register and, depending on which scheme you join, the Electrical Safety Register and the Electricsafe Register.
Just a general comment, from an outsider ... there are not many trades or professions in which the cost of remaining 'registered'/'licensed'/whatever to pursue one's trade/profession is any less than £8 per week - so what you say might well be reasonable (or, at least, pretty 'standard'). Electricians are, of course, in a position different from many of the others, in that there is no compulsion for them to be registered/whatever in any sense in order to be able to practice as electricians - in many/most trades/professions, one doesn't have that option.

Kind Regards, John

£8 per week would be worthwhile, if the general public actually knew about and used the various scheme & building control websites.

However I have never had a single customer use any of those to locate my business for work, and the vast majority of customers don't even know what Part P & notifiable work is, so in that regard, any money spent is a total waste.

I have no idea what promotion Certsure, NAPIT and others will be doing, but unless something has dramatically changed from previous efforts, it will be far too little and achieve nothing.

While electrical work is largely unregulated and anyone can do pretty much anything they like, schemes will only serve as money collectors for those who want to comply with a totally unenforceable law.

No one has ever been prosecuted solely for non-notification of electrical work, and the only prosecutions which have been done were due to the actual work itself being blatantly dangerous and resulting in injury/death.

I would have to agree. I as retired have no intention of joining any scheme however I am a IET member.

I have done work which I have paid the required fee to LABC well required fee was zero because the property was used by the registered disabled.

What I was rather sup prised about was no permit to work. So although I knew because it was my parents that all was in order there was no paper work to confirm this.

So if I went to a customer and asked have you registered this work with the LABC and they say yes then I have no idea to if this is true.

This in turn means if I say the customer said they had registered the work then there is nothing anyone can do as there is no way to show if customer or I are not telling the truth.

For anyone to point the finger at me I have to have not complied with BS7671 that includes not issuing an installation certificate or minor works.

So if I issue a minor works or installation certificate then it would be near impossible to prove I was at fault rather than the customer.

This means that being a scheme member is just not worth it.

Until the Part P regulations require the LABC to issue permits to work the whole scheme is unworkable.

Sponsored Links
ive been with ELECSA for the last two years they wanted £468 to renew this year, Have been contemplating the NICEIC for a while now and got a cracking deal off them at last weeks ELEX show £370 inc vat to join there domestic installer scheme.

Spent an hour this after noon sorting out a 2 way switch that a kitchen fitter had wired and wasnt working, 3-core and earth at one switch old colours and two harmonised colour twins at one end this firm had done all the electrical work in the kitchen and non of it was tested or notified ( that required notification before april 6 this year )

Until the Part P regulations require the LABC to issue permits to work the whole scheme is unworkable.
So you think Part P should be expanded?

That would not be consistent with any of the other parts in Schedule 1 - there are 14 others, and none of them have any scope which extends beyond the requirements for standards of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back