School run solution without using a car or walking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son goes to school 4miles away all countryside back roads and uphill on the way there. I'm trying to think of a solution on how I could get him to school without using a car. So far best solution I've come up with ebike with child seat. Anyone else got any legal ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
bus? car share? There’s not really any other way than motor vehicle/walk/bike

He is four. In September he might be able to get the school bus but just interested in an in trim solution. The parking is a nightmare by the school. I feel sorry for the residents with all those muddy patches outside their houses when they should be grass due to all the pick ups and drop offs.

Sponsored Links
A small horse, if he can keep it in the school grounds during the day. It should learn the route fairly quickly.

I would think bicycle, electric or otherwise, with either a trailer or child seat would work best (in good weather!)

Haha I didn't think of horse. I'll have a butchers on ebay now. Yep bike seems only way really or mobility scooter? But I need some more grey hairs first

How are his legs?

Can he pedal a go cart? lol

Some huskeys and a wheeled sled?

I'd go for Foxholes solution.

Foxholes solution is what we currently do. I just wondered if some clever bod had worked out another solution. What about these new amazon drones?

Haha I didn't think of horse. I'll have a butchers on ebay now. Yep bike seems only way really or mobility scooter? But I need some more grey hairs first

You cannot take a child on a mobility scooter on a road or public path. Also, able-bodied adults are not allowed to ride them anyway, they are for people with mobility issues.

I agree with Foxholes, drive some of the way, then park considerately. My wife drives our kid to primary school, she could walk it if she didn't have to get to work after, so drives and parks away from the mayhem where she doesn't upset residents. School parking is a nightmare everywhere!

Last edited:
Yep granted. Heres to me hoping that with all the media attention on idling cars outside school gates etc some clever bod may of come up with a solution. Even an electric car still takes up space although it gets round the pollution issue.

The probably around our school is not pollution, its people parking on pavements forcing kids to walk in the road, blocking driveways, blocking the road completely (2 cars parking on opposite sides) stopping larger vehicles getting through, and driving at speed causing regular near misses. Pollution really not an issue, avoiding getting run over is!

The only solution really is to either change school or work times so parents have more time to get their kids into school. Overseas some school start at 7.30am, gives parents time to drop off in a civilised fashion, then get to work for 9am.

Schools in this village have the same problems. Car sharing would be a help, most of the cars passing here have lust one child in them, a few have two.

On a lighter ( and humourous ? ) note the answer could be in the question

School run solution without using a car or walking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back