Schuko Socket unearthed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just touched a washing machine and got a slight tingle. I unplugged it and it looks to me like the Schuko socket misses the metal side bits for the earth. Is there such a thing? See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_185854839.jpg
    IMG_20200809_185854839.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 287
Sponsored Links
I should add it is in Germany, late 1960s house, there is no third pin in the plug.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there should be. But what might not have come out of the photo is that the earth thing on the socket is shy, so that it is not making contact with any normal plug.
Is there a different type of plug that is meant to be used, or is the socket "broken"?

It's hard to tell from the picture.
It could be broken but it's unlikely both sides are broken.

Here is a new one:

upload_2020-8-10_0-54-26.png

If you are correct, then have the socket replaced.

That's what I thought. All the other sockets look fine, only one is odd. It's not my house but I tell the owners, family of mine, to get it looked at.

It looks as though the Earth contact is not sticking up (or down) far enough.
If you can test that there is actually an Earth connection there, can you also use something like a multi-meter probe to lift up the contact to provide more tension and, hence, a better connection.

It would be a good idea to replace the Socket Outlet.

Thanks, I am not there any more but think you described well what I meant. I told the owners to get a local electrian in. I hope they do!

Sponsored Links
Back