Scolmore Click Dimmer - intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of the above switches. It’s 2 gang: 1 dimmer and one dummy dimmer switch.

The dimmer operates 4 downlights. On occasions, I can dim these right down to off and hence very dim light. However, on other occasions, it will only go down to a certain level of dimness (still high for my liking) and the push action will then switch them off.

I have removed the cap and tried operating it without this, same effect.

There is no discernible difference from when it used to dim right down to its current behaviour. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Change the dimmer module for a Varilight V-Pro.

I find these generally good for dimming LEDs. Other makes seem less reliable.

This has a few models available in this type of module. I have 4 downlights that are 8 watt each. I get the max rating of the dimmer but what should I select for the minimum? Inclined to go for 0…

I want them to dim right down to off.

Thanks again.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

This has a few models available in this type of module. I have 4 downlights that are 8 watt each. I get the max rating of the dimmer but what should I select for the minimum? Inclined to go for 0…

I want them to dim right down to off.

Thanks again.
Oh dear….

Please try and understand. It is not difficult.
If the description says 0-100watts that is the LOAD that the dimmer will handle.
All of the Varilight dimmers can dim down to off and up to full brightness. But note that you may need to go through the set up procedure. This allows you to set the maximum and minimum brightness.
The one in that list that says 0-100 watts would seem to be adequate. As it can handle 10 LEDs and is inside your 32watt load.
Ok?

PS
@winston1. Am I providing a suitable level of helpfulness? Do you have any other words of wisdom to add?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Oh dear….

Please try and understand. It is not difficult.
If the description says 0-100watts that is the LOAD that the dimmer will handle.
All of the Varilight dimmers can dim down to off and up to full brightness. But note that you may need to go through the set up procedure. This allows you to set the maximum and minimum brightness.
The one in that list that says 0-100 watts would seem to be adequate. As it can handle 10 LEDs and is inside your 32watt load.
Ok?

PS
@winston1. Am I providing a suitable level of helpfulness? Do you have any other words of wisdom to add?
Why not 10-100? I understand the max rating as stated in my earlier post but what’s the significance of the first number and how does it relate to my scenario?

Simply, a 10-100 dimmer won’t work properly if you only put one 5watt lamp on it. It needs a minimum of 10watts.
That isn’t an issue in your set up (32watt total).

Simply, a 10-100 dimmer won’t work properly if you only put one 5watt lamp on it. It needs a minimum of 10watts.
That isn’t an issue in your set up (32watt total).
Ok. In that case, I could even use the 15-180w in my case. That was my confusion and specific question in the earlier post.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I install the varilight v-pro dimmer and the lowest setting by default is fairly dim. However, it doesn't dim right down to off.
I've tried these instructions but to no avail:

1669968280579.png

I never experience the set up and down of lights as set out in #4.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I’ve not had problems once they are set up.

But it is a bit fiddly.

Go through the process again making sure you do the steps exactly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back