Sconce light without wall switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just wanted to check something. As I understand it, there is no requirement for a sconce light to have a separate wall switch, is this right? E.g., if the light fitting itself has an integrated switch, it can just be wired direct into the live feed. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, just wanted to check something. As I understand it, there is no requirement for a sconce light to have a separate wall switch, is this right? E.g., if the light fitting itself has an integrated switch, it can just be wired direct into the live feed. Many thanks.

Usually yes, but dependent on where / how it is fed. Usually it will be more convenient to have a switch by the door, along with the centre light switch, which switches all the wall lights on/off as one.

Thanks. The power seems to be taken from the ceiling rose and runs direct to the sconce. I did think a wall switch near the door might be useful although maybe not if the sconce built-in switch has been turned off!

Thanks. The power seems to be taken from the ceiling rose and runs direct to the sconce. I did think a wall switch near the door might be useful although maybe not if the sconce built-in switch has been turned off!
True, but I think that, in most situations, most people would probably leave the built-in switch permanently 'on', and do all the controlling by a wall switch.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose the intent was to switch the light on/off solely from the sconce whilst laying in bed.

My three wall lights lack a sconce switch, they are fed from a fused spur on the ring main, which in turn feed two dimmer switches. So that even if the spur fuse goes, or the ring MCB trips, we still have use of the centre light on the lighting MCB. I only had the ring MCB trip once in 40 years, when a lamp burned out long ago.

I have also toyed with the idea of having 2-way switches for the sconce put in, one by the door and the other by the bed. Am I also right in thinking that there's nothing in the regs preventing a wall switch near the bed being at a lower level so it is reachable without getting up?

I have also toyed with the idea of having 2-way switches for the sconce put in, one by the door and the other by the bed. Am I also right in thinking that there's nothing in the regs preventing a wall switch near the bed being at a lower level so it is reachable without getting up?

Nothing at all to stop you in the regs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back