bathroom lighting , wall sconces.

T

thatbloke

my bathroom has two very old wall sconces fitted , each sconce has two fake candle type bulbs in brass fittings. They are on a wall more than 600mm from the bath. After reading through some posts regarding bathroom lighting i am now wondering if these lights are safe? they dont run through an rcd.

Sponsored Links
are they metal sconces?
do you envisage standing with one foot in the bath, stark naked and dripping wet while changing a lamp?

no?, then they are as safe as any other fitting in your house.
providing that they are earthed ( and they should be having brass lampholders ) then you're ok.

are they metal sconces?
do you envisage standing with one foot in the bath, stark naked and dripping wet while changing a lamp?

no?, then they are as safe as any other fitting in your house.
providing that they are earthed ( and they should be having brass lampholders ) then you're ok.

they are indeed metal sconces , hopefully i wont be standing on the bath changing a bulb , well , not naked and wet anyway. they are earthed , or at least i can see the earth screw with wire in on the side of the bulb holder , so all is good? lovely , thanks ColJack. I thought it would be wise to ask just in case , its an old house so its always best to make sure.
thanks again.

Sponsored Links
the wiring is pretty good , its quite modern in fact , well in relation to the rest of the house it is. The CU was installed in 1997 and i am assuming the wiring was also done at around that time , its all surface mount and can be easily seen throughout its entirety. I have seen some redundant wiring here and there , the old black wiring that breaks when you bend it.

you can just about make it out on the stud to the right and the top of the wall plate on the left.
its flat and grey twin and earth so i am assuming its quite recent.

P120609_161001.jpg

i will check the earth and make sure it is connected at the CU.

I think you'd better buy a new one. I have found a website that sells wall sconces that's pretty good!

His corncern was related to the positioning of the fittings and the lack of additional RCD protection, so just how will replacing the fittings help with that, also given this was posted in 2010 and and the chap is no longer a member he, I am unsure how you felt this would be usful. It looks like you have made 4 posts, at least two on threads older than ten years old with less than usful advice which is not helpful in the slightest, please restrict yourself to replying to current topics

It looks like you have made 4 posts, at least two on threads older than ten years old with less than usful advice which is not helpful in the slightest
A series of bland posts from a new poster is usually the initial tryout before the deluge of spam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back