LED strip from existing sconce light feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20200807_144345.jpg 20200807_183318.jpg 20200807_140017.jpg Evening Chums,

First post on here so please be gentle...

As description; I had two awful sconce lights either side of my chimney breast. I needed to re-plasterboard the wall so i took the opportunity to remove them.

In their place I screwed a junction box between the stud and extended the LNE wiring in 1.5mm 3 core down to a hole in the plaster at the bottom at floor level.

I'm now getting built in storage to the bottom (which houses my newly extended live feed as described above) and shelving.

The plan is to power LED strips to backlight my splendid new shelves.

My question - is it as simple as fitting a transformer to the extended feed thus running my 3x LED strips?

Further, will the switch on the opposite wall that switched the sconces now activate my new LEDS? (Pretty sure I know the answer to this already...)

What are the potential risks? I'm a competent DIY'r but as a new homeowner I'm a careful novice with Electrics. I'm past the sticking-my-finger-in-light-fittings stage...but not much.

Hopefully I'll hear back from somebody soon.

Best regards.

NB - I'm not interested in colours or dimming, just on/off lights.

NNB - Apologies, there are other SIMILAR posts but I would very much like the reassurance of a direct address to my quandary. Sorry if this irks anyone!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the third picture is the junction box behind the plaster board your first job is to remove your new plaster board and replace the junction box with a maintenance free one. Sorry, but that is the rules.

Better still would be get rid of the junction box altogether and put a new length of cable in using 1.0mm twin and earth.

Hi Winston,

Thanks for your insight - you learn something new every day, I had no idea about maintenance free JB's!

In that case, this isn't the end of the world as I do also have two gang sockets either side of the breast within my cupboards so I can run my prospective LEDs off these.

Now that i'm going to get my electrician to safely isolate this circuit i'm still left wondering what could have been, so I fall back on my original question; IF I had continued, could I have wired my LED transformers to the 3core switched feed that used to power my sconces?

so I fall back on my original question; IF I had continued, could I have wired my LED transformers to the 3core switched feed that used to power my sconces?

Yes no reason not to wire them to a switched feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your insight, Winston, it is appreciated and duly noted.

I'll remember in future to seek the correct advice PRIOR to plastering over my mistakes. Alas!!!

Razzy
The following link is a good post that on first page has links to products and talks about methods to connect.
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/led-strips-on-shelves.466017/#post-3718810

The following three pages discuss the use of the word transformer and driver.
For this system best search is 12V LED driver.

Potential risks are remembering which is 240v and which is 12v. Easy to be complacent about touching 12v and then forgetting a portion of circuit is 240v. Be mindful about isolating supply.
Sfk

Last edited:
For this system best search is 12V LED driver.

If you are intending to use LED strips like these you need a 12 volt DC power supply. The resistors in the strip determine how much current that flows through the LED elements.

LED strip.jpg

An LED driver determines how much current flows through the LED element(s) it is driving.

An LED driver will be rated as having a current output and not a voltage output. 300mA is a common rating.

The words "LED driver" and "power supply" are frequently mis-used.

Sfk & Bernardgreen - huge thanks for the links and insight. I got lost in a big LED / Google worm-hole but I think I've come out of it a better informed man.

Close this post down boys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back