LED strip lighting in kitchen

If it was thought necessary to designate the originals as "multi-faceted reflector" (has any one, public or electrician, ever given a toss whether the lamp's reflector is multi-faceted, or not?),

It was important back in the 80s when they were more popular, osram and Ge made about ten beam angles later reduced to just 3.
As ban repeatedly says there intention was to spotlight a subject.
I once done an architects house and he had a metre wide corridor and the light spread on the floor needed to be a specific diameter and MR reflecters was the only way to do it.
In pubs it was also important to get the arch effects from the lamps matching.
The only alternative to a MR16 then was a PAR16 like a 50mm hispot,

Sponsored Links
That may be so but it is no way to carry on, is it?
Depends on what you think language is for.

Whatever it is.
Well, what is it?

In the context of "is it the size and shape of an incandescent MR16 lamp?", then if it is, surely it is an MR16?

(has any one, public or electrician, ever given a toss whether the lamp's reflector is multi-faceted, or not?)
I doubt that they have.

In which case what MR stands for is of no relevance - what matters is what it means - what information is being imparted when it is used.

If what is being imparted is this:

screenshot_1151.jpg

then this really is an MR16

image.png

People use abbreviations or acronyms all the time without knowing what they stand for. Lots of people happily use AM, PM, e.g. , i.e. without knowing what they stand for because they know what they mean.

then it can't be beyond the wit of man to describe the LED ones as whatever they are.
Indeed it can't.

Go to it.

Get a different term accepted and used, and all the problems go away.

But until then....

Well yes, but it is not MR, so how can it be called that?
See above for what it MEANS, not what the letters M and R STAND FOR.

It may be but are some not longer?
If they are, and if they contravene the specifications for the dimensions of an MR16 lamp, then they should not be called MR16. But then for exactly the same reasons nor should a lamp which does have a multifaceted reflector and is also "too long".

A name should have been thought of based on the shape of it.
Probably.

But unless and until such a name is coined we are left with the fact that "MR16" defines the shape.

Lots of people happily use AM, PM, e.g. , i.e. without knowing what they stand for because they know what they mean.
Yes, but if they use AM in the afternoon or PM in the morning when it doesn't apply then they won't know what they mean.

screenshot_1151.jpg

then this really is an MR16

Not if it doesn't have an MR, it isn't.

Mods -
I think JohnW2 has hijacked Bas' user name?

Sponsored Links
They will if they both have the same understanding of the terms.
...but that would be speaking in code and nothing to do with reality.

I shall ring Rentokil and report my giraffe problem.

Anyway,

I've just realised we're arguing about the wrong thing.

It's nothing to do with the shape of the lamp.
That's not what people have in mind; faceted reflector or not is of no consequence to them.

This is most people's comprehension of the difference.

upload_2017-3-5_12-6-35.png

So there is a correct name that they can use; it is G5.3.

...but that would be speaking in code and nothing to do with reality.
That might depend on how many people accept it as the reality. If they don't know what the letters "stand for", as I'm sure many people don't when they use e.g., or i.e., or laser, or SIM card, or HDMI, or... or... then in their minds if AM is after midday it really is.

Did you know, BTW, that MR did not originally stand for Multifaceted Reflector, it stood for Miniature Reflector?

Anyway,

I've just realised we're arguing about the wrong thing.

It's nothing to do with the shape of the lamp.
That's not what people have in mind; faceted reflector or not is of no consequence to them.

This is most people's comprehension of the difference.
And that false equivalence is wrong, and I've often tried to correct it.

If calling this an MR16 works, because as you say, faceted reflector or not is of no consequence

image.png

and what matters is the shape, then as there is no other way to describe it other than "the same size and shape as an MR16", then there's no problem, IMO.

Clearly if people care about the base then they need to pay attention to that. We should perhaps avoid repeating this discussion but with "GU10" in place of "MR16", and the associated assumptions of lamp shape...

View attachment 115156

So there is a correct name that they can use; it is G5.3.
Ah, about that.....

5048_e0ed5da0f8c67b8c64a2f07d8dc5f0008078b392_original.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back