LED strip lighting in kitchen

As the song goes, Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off.

Sponsored Links
You have already established in post 32 that they don't know what they are talking about. Do LED lamps have a significant inrush current? I don't think so. And what is all this talk about MR16s? Many, perhaps the majority of MR16s are 240 volts, so don't need a driver or power supply at all. I've a feeling this company does not even know what MR16 is.
Now you're just being foolish. Whatever technical definition of MR16 you might be using, for the vast majority of people the vast majority of legacy halogen lamps called MR16 are AC 12V (possibly 5V or 24V) with a GU5.3 base. LED lamps called MR16 usually have a GU5.3 base but often don't have a two-inch multifacted reflector shell.

To answer the question, what lamps you can run from a particular transformer depends on both the lamp and the transformer. A typical LED containing a driver to operate from 12V AC will have an inrush current around 10x the operating current, although this varies widely. It is anybody's guess whether a particular transformer can handle that for a few ms or not. Pick one that is ten times over-sized and the normal load may be too low, pick one with a suitable low load limit and it may baulk at the inrush. No doubt it is one of the many causes of incompatibility between LED lamps and transformers that should theoretically be able to drive them. It is relatively easy to design for, but with halogen lamps it wasn't necessary.

It is anybody's guess whether a particular transformer can handle that for a few ms or not.

A transformer built with nothing more than two coils of wire on a magnetic core will handle that in rush without problems.

A transformer built with electronics may not be able to handle a transient overload caused by inrush current takne by the lamp.

Sponsored Links
Well, I have wired them up using a 10W CV driver each. They work and there are no funny noises or smells. Well, there may have been a smell, but it wasn't the LED gear...:sneaky:

Now you're just being foolish. Whatever technical definition of MR16 you might be using, for the vast majority of people the vast majority of legacy halogen lamps called MR16 are AC 12V (possibly 5V or 24V) with a GU5.3 base. LED lamps called MR16 usually have a GU5.3 base but often don't have a two-inch multifacted reflector shell.

No you are being foolish and the vast majority of people are misinformed, often by the people selling this stuff. MR16 is nothing to do with the base or operating voltage. LEDs referred to as MR16, though not correctly, can only be a 2inch reflector shaped lamp but can be any voltage and any base.

No you are being foolish and the vast majority of people are misinformed, often by the people selling this stuff. MR16 is nothing to do with the base or operating voltage. LEDs referred to as MR16, though not correctly, can only be a 2inch reflector shaped lamp but can be any voltage and any base.
I'm starting to see why the word "pedantry" arose earlier. You are the only person who chooses deliberately to misunderstand what I and others have said. You could have decided to offer your knowledge without being disagreeable but instead prefer to sit on your ivory tower and pronounce that the entire world is wrong.

I'm starting to see why the word "pedantry" arose earlier. You are the only person who chooses deliberately to misunderstand what I and others have said. You could have decided to offer your knowledge without being disagreeable but instead prefer to sit on your ivory tower and pronounce that the entire world is wrong.

I did not misunderstand. You said, effectively, that the majority of people had the wrong idea of what MR16 meant. So I explained what it was. No ivory towers or pedantry.

You said, effectively, that the majority of people had the wrong idea of what MR16 meant.
No, he did not.

for the vast majority of people the vast majority of legacy halogen lamps called MR16 are AC 12V (possibly 5V or 24V) with a GU5.3 base. LED lamps called MR16 usually have a GU5.3 base but often don't have a two-inch multifacted reflector shell.
The fact that there is no link between an MR16 envelope and a particular base does not affect the truth of what he wrote.

They may not be able to tell you what MR16 refers to or stands for, but for the vast majority of people the vast majority of legacy halogen lamps called MR16 really are AC 12V (possibly 5V or 24V) with a GU5.3 base. Whether you like that or not.

LED lamps called MR16 really do usually have a GU5.3 base. Whether you like that or not.

They really often don't have a two-inch multifaceted reflector shell. Whether you like that or not.

Contrary to what you claim, in terms of meaning the majority of people do know what they mean, and that meaning does fit with what makers and retailers call their products. Whether you like that or not.

Just as with all your other obsessions, you seem to think you can deny the reality of what things are called.

Ooooh, I must side with Winston on this one.

Something that does not have a two inch diameter multi-faceted reflector cannot be MR16 no matter what people call it.

That's not just a name but a contradiction in terms.

That would be like calling them bulbs - just silly,

Even when lamps were actually MR16 some makers never used that term, about 90percent of the wholesalers ive been in dont know what it means, it seemed to be used more since GU10 came on the scene.
Until then a standard 12v 50w lamp was refered to as a M258 by many and classed as a 50mm lamp.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back