LED strip lighting in kitchen

Wombleboy, there are 240v led strips, and that would eliminate the need for a driver, and allow you to wire the strips via a choc box, and then power them in a more normal way. The direction you go will get determined by the kitchen layout, in that using a 12v system that needs a driver, requires you to place the driver somewhere accessible, but also out of the way. If you're leds aren't being dimmed, nor colour changing, then you won't need a controller, just a driver.

Essentially, if you are going for a central bank of "light switches", then you're using these to switch on the drivers, that are invariably plugged into a 13A single gang socket, so you rally need switched units to feed 240v into the sockets.

Sponsored Links
Essentially, if you are going for a central bank of "light switches", then you're using these to switch on the drivers, that are invariably plugged into a 13A single gang socket, so you rally need switched units to feed 240v into the sockets.

Why would they invariably be plugged into a 13 amp socket? You can get drivers that are not wall worts that can be wired in the normal way via a junction box etc.

Sponsored Links
Why would they invariably be plugged into a 13 amp socket

Totally correct Winston, but I'm trying to get him to think about the layout and the overall job, and showing him pitfalls on some of the kits he may get. And you're right in that I could have laid out the suggestions better.

in that using a 12v system that needs a driver,

The strips that are made with several groups of 3 LED elements and a resistor need a 12 volt DC power supply and not a driver. You can run these strips directly from a 12 volt battery and as such they make ideal emergency lighting in kitchens

So we've come round in a circle, and a transformer that should have been a driver, is now a power supply, that is actually a transformer. I do love this site some days.

BAS

The LED strips require a DC supply of the correct polarity to produce light.
The current is determined by a resistor in series with 3 LED elements ( 12 volt ) or 6 LED elements ( 24 volt )

Incorrect polarity may damage the LED elements

Transformers ( inductive and NOT SMPS ) produce AC which may damage the LED elements when the AC cycle is the wrong polarity for the strip.

A transformer ( inductive ) and a rectifier is adequate to power a LED strip

The LED strips require a DC supply of the correct polarity to produce light.

My Aurora AU LED 1012CV also tells me that correct polarity on the 12V DC output is essential.

How is this possible with lamps you can connect to the lamp holder either way round?

My Aurora AU LED 1012CV also tells me that correct polarity on the 12V DC output is essential.

How is this possible with lamps you can connect to the lamp holder either way round?

They have a bridge rectifier built in.

I did suspect as much. But if this is the case, why the warning?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back