LED strip lighting in kitchen

Sponsored Links
Clearly no understanding of irony is yet another of Winston's failings.

screenshot_1147.jpg

Manufacturers don't refer to DC power supplies as transformers
I don't think anybody is claiming that they do, except you, when you drop the word "electronic" which they put before "transformer" as if somehow you think that enough pretence from you will magically change what things are actually called.

Sponsored Links
They should not be in the business if they don't know what they are selling.
In a sense they do know perfectly well what they are selling, and their customers know perfectly well what they are buying.

Whilst "MR16" stands for "multifaceted reflector, 16/8ths of an inch in diameter", it also means a lamp with a particular shape of envelope. The false equivalence of MR16 = GU5.3 base is regrettable, but isn't really a significant communication problem. If someone goes into a wholesaler to buy a lamp then applying "LED MR16" as the initial filter is likely to be very effective, quite possibly the most effective, because what matters to people is "will it fit", not "does it actually have a multifaceted reflector".

No matter what it actually stands for, if everyone who uses the term "MR16" thinks it also implies ELV operation and a GU5.3 base then that really is what it MEANS.

No matter what it actually stands for, if everyone who uses the term "MR16" thinks it also implies ELV operation and a GU5.3 base then that really is what it MEANS.

Absolute rubbish. You know what MR16 means. I know what MR16 means. If others, that is not everyone, thinks it means something else that does NOT that is what it is. It means they are ignorant of the facts.

Absolute rubbish. You know what MR16 means. I know what MR16 means. If others, that is not everyone, thinks it means something else that does NOT that is what it is. It means they are ignorant of the facts.
I know what the abbreviation MR16 stands for.

And I know that you cannot bear the fact that when people use the term they MEAN something else and/or something additional by it.

If two people are communicating, and they are both in agreement about what a particular symbol MEANS then that really is what it MEANS.

Stop being so foolish as to think that what the letters stand for can and must only and forever be what people MEAN when they use it.

I really do not understand your position given that you are usually such a stickler for accuracy and correcting people's mistakes.

If two people are communicating as you say, then the fact that they know what each other means does not alter the fact that they are both wrong - and, therefore, someone who does know what the terms stand for would NOT know what they mean.

So, which should change? The two who are wrong or the one who is right.

Oh dear, the giraffes are coming under my skirting board again.

It means they are ignorant of the facts

Yes, some of us do get the wrong impression. I always thought that an MR16 lamp was a Gu5.3 (or is that other way round), now, from BAS's eloquent description, I now understand it better.

So who's the secret Mod that's put Winston in his place, when no one tackles Wannabees rantings.

I always thought that an MR16 lamp was a Gu5.3 (or is that other way round), now, from BAS's eloquent description, I now understand it better.

A GU5.3 can also be on a capsule lamp, which is like the centre of an an MR16 but without the outer glass MR16 bit

I really do not understand your position given that you are usually such a stickler for accuracy and correcting people's mistakes.

If two people are communicating as you say, then the fact that they know what each other means does not alter the fact that they are both wrong - and, therefore, someone who does know what the terms stand for would NOT know what they mean.

So, which should change? The two who are wrong or the one who is right.
I don't say that the term is not being misused - I take issue with the idea that meaning cannot exist when the usage is wrong, or that it can only be what the acronym stands for.

But what term do you think should be used to describe the envelope of a lamp like this:

mr16-4w-for-web-3_1.jpg

It does not have a multifaceted reflector, but in every other respect it is just like an MR16 with a GU5.3 base, and in respect of compatibility it is EXACTLY the same as an incandescent MR16 with a GU5.3 base.

So what are we going to call it that will have meaning to people looking for lamps to go into luminaires designed to take MR16s?

I don't say that the term is not being misused - I take issue with the idea that meaning cannot exist when the usage is wrong, or that it can only be what the acronym stands for.
That may be so but it is no way to carry on, is it?

But what term do you think should be used to describe the envelope of a lamp like this:
mr16-4w-for-web-3_1.jpg
Whatever it is.
If it was thought necessary to designate the originals as "multi-faceted reflector" (has any one, public or electrician, ever given a toss whether the lamp's reflector is multi-faceted, or not?), then it can't be beyond the wit of man to describe the LED ones as whatever they are.

What about LED16 or LED50, for a start? MD Multi-Diode.

It does not have a multifaceted reflector, but in every other respect it is just like an MR16 with a GU5.3 base,
Well yes, but it is not MR, so how can it be called that?
and in respect of compatibility it is EXACTLY the same as an incandescent MR16 with a GU5.3 base.
It may be but are some not longer?
A name should have been thought of based on the shape of it.

So what are we going to call it that will have meaning to people looking for lamps to go into luminaires designed to take MR16s?
Ones which are the same shape as MR16s.

How do they manage when they buy LED or CF lamps for BC and ES bases? Should we call them GLS?

Presumably don't buy ones which are too big fit in the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back