Scooter - Rear brake mechanism query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Sorry but there doesn't appear to be a motorbike/scooter/moped section.

My scooters rear brake has stopped working. Well, when I pull the brake lever it barely moves. Looking down at the back wheel area I can see that the cable is trying to pull the mechanism but it's hardly moving. So now I have no rear brake! The brake light still works!

Could this be a ceased pivot or am I barking up the wrong tree so to speak?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is probably a seized cable, give it a good squirt of WD40 till it frees up, then lubricate with three in one oil.

Wotan

Thanks for the response.

When pulling the brake lever you can see that the cable is trying to pull in the arm thing that it's connected to but the arm looks as though it's struggling to turn the pivot.

I need to get it apart really but I can't find my socket set! I have a 23mm wheel brace but that's to small. I think it's a 25mm job.

try moving the pivot by hand, if it moves freely, its the cable thats seized, WD40 it and get a replacement.

if the pivot is seized (probably this, it gets sprayed with all sorts of crap) it will need the wheel off, and a strip and clean, most are a simple cam, so no linkages, its the "hole" through the casing that gets seized up with spray from the road.

Sponsored Links
I read that I need to pull the back brake lever to be able to undo the wheel nut. Is this the case?

If so what can I do if I can't pull the brake lever?

Thanks

Should be an adjusting nut so you can tighten lever action, release locking nut and give the main nut a few turns to see if it's got more wear left.Some models also have adjustment at the brake lever.

Back