Scraper like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend used it to get a door stop out, so we could move it back so door fitted. It's like a scraper but you can hit it with a hammer. Anyone got a link to buy it?

Wondering if it would work on my ply lining, to get it apart it's nailed together I think.
DSC_0071.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yeah, but this tool looked like a paint scrapper but you hit it with a hammer. A chippy on here must know what I mean?

Might have been a sash pocket chisel which were available in widths up to about 2-1/2in and to somebody outside the trade it might well look like a decoratosr scraper. AFAIK no longer made (Stormont-Archer were about the last people making them and that was 35 years plus ago - BTW the later stuff they made was very poor indeed). Designed to remove the pockets in sash windows but the wooden handle means that they won't live long if continually struck with a steel hammer (the handles always split). Should be used with a wooden malet. Unlike wood chisels they need to be sharpened with a bevel on both sides of the blade

Modern tools could be the wrecking knife (Bahco) or demolition chisel (Stanley Fat Max). A mate had the Bahco - destroyed it in about a week (it shattered when hit with a hammer once too often). Seen a similar thing with the Stanley - snapped in two when hit too hard. Those Stanley ones are also a bugger to sharpen (weird blade cross section so they can't be held in a honing jig and they don't sit right on a grinder tool support - I had one and gave up on it after a while) - and the nature of the beast means that you end up grinding chips out of the edges of these things a lot.

Bahco wrecking knife 001-01.jpg

Above: Bahco wrecking knife
Below: Stanley Fat Max wrecking chisel

Stanley Fat Max demolition chisel 001-01.jpg

In the end I went back to what another posted suggested - a broad chisel (38mm or 1-1/2in). I've always carried two or three old chisels in various sizes picked up over the years for the rough, dirty stuff. Works well for me. The only other things I use for dealing with stop laths, mouldings, etc are a couple of small pry bars - a moulding pry bar (Estwing) and a 15in bent steel flat bar. These moulding bars (sometimes sold as Japanese reform bars) come in 10in and 12in sizes and can be ground to a chisel edge if needs be (waste of time IMHO) - other firms like Stanley do 8in and even 6in versions although I find them too small to get enough leverage. Even with those the 1-1/2in chisel is used first to start the splitting. The secret is use it bevel down to the flat surface and to keep it sharp

Estwing moulding pry bar 001-01.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
It's a freakin chisel - why not just buy a set? Then you can find out what they are capable of

Just got it and it isn't as wide or scrapper like bit I guess I can separate wood with it

One thing I will say about that - it won't take many whacks with a hammer before it disintegrates. Only saying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back