Scrapping Space Star

So far, nothing.

We made the decision to scrap not just on the basis of the rear window, but the fact the MoT picked out brake work and work to rusting sills, plus the misfire and the wonky wipers.
Oh and the dodgy starter motor.

I'm sure someone in the trade could sort it out cheaply. But to us, we had quotes exceeding £1800.

Plus it needed a service.

At the end of the day, it's a 21 yo car and will have a limited lifespan.

We both felt it would be better to invest in something newer.

Sponsored Links
Just the usual companies advertising on the web for scrap your car services.

Best offer so far £234. But it's got £80 of super in the tank and I think it's got anti-syphon...

Just the usual companies advertising on the web for scrap your car services.

Best offer so far £234. But it's got £80 of super in the tank and I think it's got anti-syphon...
Guessing you've tried a few to compare so you can take best offer.

£234 sounds low but not much more you can do.

If you want the effort, undo a fuel pipe under the bonnet and aim it into a can with fuel pump/ignition on

Sponsored Links
Think I'll try advertising it, not as spares or repair, but a car with nearly a whole year's MoT. Then list what needs doing and what bits have been done and when.

[QUOTE="securespark, post: 5620537, member: 6052"

[/QUOTE]

Disconnect the fuel feed in the engine compartment, put the battery on charge, and use the car's own electric pump (ignition on) to pump the fuel out of the tank.

Autoglass quoted £650.

Can't find any tailgates in the UK. Some on the continent for €450+.

OK, that's not great. I agree with your decision to get rid. (And indeed, applaud it)! It's often quite difficult to take the decision when it "only just needs another xxxxx...." but I think you're doing the right thing. I guess the other side of the argument that the rear screen is very rare and not wort pursuing, is that other parts will be rare too, so it might be worth more as spares?

Using the fuel pump to get the fuel out, might be a bit more involved. They usually have software to stop the pump from running unless it sees a signal from the rest of the engine, that the engine is also running. If you can get to the top of the fuel pump, you might have to run two wires direct from the battery to the pump terminals to make it run.

Get it on eBay, private sale due to new car, don't mention MOT advisories, they're irrelevant. Plenty of skint people need a car, don't care about noisy wipers or a slight misfire, brakes and used starter motors are cheap for DIY mechanics. Glass will be replaced by the buyer via a windscreen insurance claim - £75.

I would put it on as a classified ad at £600 fixed, strictly first come first served, say you've been offered £500 p/x so would rather do that than mess around with offers

Only problem with eBay is the idiots - they will either amuse you or annoy you intensely - if anyone asks if the discs are still good enough for jacking points run a mile!

I'd quite like to negotiate a part ex price, but no-one wants to drive it now, what with the dodgy starter motor that the breakdown company will not revisit and the temporary rear screen that will flap around at 70.......

I talked to Mrs S about syphoning last night. She had an eppy and said that she was not going to visit me in hospital, then forbade me from having anything to do with removing the petrol....

So I will leave the petrol in-situ and see how that goes.

They usually have software to stop the pump from running unless it sees a signal from the rest of the engine, that the engine is also running. If you can get to the top of the fuel pump, you might have to run two wires direct from the battery to the pump terminals to make it run.

Good point, because on thinking about it - my fuel pump only runs for 30 seconds, unless the engine is started.

Glass will be replaced by the buyer via a windscreen insurance claim - £75.

That was the deal when I bought my van in 2007. It was just over 2.5 years old at the time, and in an era when used vehicles were cheap (how times have changed). I was buying direct from the company that bought it new, it was almost mint, FSH (with all recepts - and boy did they get shafted at their local dealer Ancaster Fiat) and top of the range with all toys inc a/c.

Mileage was a bit high, but my average per year is quite low so it's come right down. Anyway, I digress - the screen had a great big crack top to bottom. Deal was it was sold as is for me to claim on my insurance couple of months after buying. ;) ;) I couldn't refuse. It was an Autotrader ad which miraculously I saw more or less as it went up on their site. I was the first to phone and arrange viewing - apparently afterwards the phone was ringing off the hook for it. I sclepped all the way from Bristol to Strood, Kent to pay the asking. My best buy ever as it's still my only vehicle, never failed an MOT and never left me stranded. Even In Poland/Czech Republic. Only a couple of big bills along the way - new clutch and DMF, then a bit later gearbox out (involving subframe removal) for gearbox reseal and new selector. But most just service items and averaging the bills over the years, very little spent. Anyway, as I say, I digress................................... Point is, you can sell the idea of someone buying a vehicle with broken window as long as they know the insurance co will pay for it.

Last edited:
Got a reasonably dry day today, so started cleaning it out.

Found the driver's footwell had a pool of water in it.

Checked under the bonnet and the expansion bottle lid (a push-on design) was completely off. The bottle looked empty.

Then I took the cap off the rad. I could see no sign of water.

Could the heater matrix be leaking into the car's interior?

Sponsored Links
Back