Scrapping Space Star

That might explain your misting-up problem. Sometimes, the drain holes can be hard to find.

Re. antifreeze, it is all still ethylene glycol. The "IAT / OAT" thing is just the additive package for corrosion protection and lubrication. Generally, the older OAT stuff is blue, but IAT stuff can be any colour. OAT will work in any engine, but only lasts a couple of years and then (in theory) should be replaced. IAT lasts longer (up to 10 years with some formulations), but can attack "yellow metal" (which really means anything with copper in it). So if you have brass sensors, bleed plugs, etc, or copper radiator core, end tanks, heater matrix, etc, then you shouldn't use IAT.

Sponsored Links
There's the box where the wiper gubbins is located.

I'll have to remove the wiper arms and the black panel to look inside, but whether unblocking it will get me a better price, I'm not sure!

Looks like I'll need a pry tool and some replacement trim clips too.
IMG_20240110_141202_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240110_141213_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
So today I took the wiper arms off and removed the black plastic panel.

But I'm burgered if I can find any drainage channels or pipes, let alone a blockage!

I put a folded dust sheet into the driver's footwell and poured water into the box section. I could see it appearing under the car, but none appeared in the footwell.

I looked as best I could and could not see any routes the water would take.

I came to the conclusion that perhaps the exit route for the water was frozen up.

So I put the car back together and I'm searching online for the best price for it.

I'm looking forward to when the thread title is changed to "Scrapped" Space Star. Although there was another recent thread about someone wanting to learn about car maintenance - sounds like there would be plenty to practice at.

I don't know why, but I'm very sad to see it go.
I understand you perfectly.
I still have a picture in my mind of the last look a gave my Passat at the scrap yard.
A 26 year old car in perfect conditions that was still clocking 135mph and keeping the road like it was on rails.
Had to scrap it because the emperor of londistan said I'm responsible for climate change... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I was the same with my 1981 Mk1 Carlton. Loved that car, so comfortable and completely reliable and straightforward. Had to say goodbye in 2002 after 10 happy years of ownership. Was a big wrench, but she just got too rusty for any more welding repairs. Always hang onto my vehicles until the bitter end. Scudo van I have now was 2.5 years old when I bought it. Again, utterly reliable and never failed an MOT. Had it 17 years now :oops: and not looking to part with it just yet.

Sponsored Links
Back