Scrapping Space Star

It sure could be, but you’d normally smell it and have the screen misting up.
Brim the radiator with coolant before you go any further!
John

Sponsored Links
I did notice condensation on the windscreen the other day. I shall check the mildly moist carpet to see if it smells of coolant.

Then I shall fill it up with coolant and see what happens.

Thought I had some coolant, but alas no.

Then I thought I'd look up what coolant it needs.

It seems there are different types depending on how old the engine is.

Halfords invited me to put the reg in and it would tell me what kind to buy.

There followed a list of many brands, of varying formulae.

In my youth, antifreeze was ethylene glycol and you just put it in then dipped a finger in the rad or expansion tank to taste the sweetness.

Don't know the capacity, either.

Never mind, I guess Prestone will do.

Sponsored Links
I was going to look in the handbook to see if there was any guidance. I know these days, there is OAT, IOAT, OAT and honey and various other flavours of coolant, depending on whether it's an ally or cast iron block.

I guess blue glycol is OK for that 1.3 engine? Not even sure if it's a Mitsubishi engine. Someone told me it was a Renault lump.

I've tried looking up the right coolant using the reg, but that brings up two different types.

Buy from main dealer, it's one of the things they still sell for a reasonable price.
Otherwise Prestone coolant is guaranteed to work with all engines and to mix with existing.
Don't know how true this is, but I've used it in old bangers and caused no issues.

IMG_20240104_171200_HDR.jpg

This is the windscreen tonight. The rest of the windows are relatively clear. I think there may be a leak somewhere. I'm not sure about investing in coolant which may well end up on the driveway!

Might fill it with water and see what happens. If it holds, I'll have to drain down and use coolant.

Have you ensured that the windscreen (inner surface) is clean, and free of grease / road gunk etc?

My car has been very foggy recently, and a good clean of the inside of the windows, followed with a thorough wiping with meths, had made a big difference.

Cleaned the screen. It seems better, thanks.

Left it a bit late today to put some antifreeze in. It was going dark. But I got some in the rad and some in the expansion bottle.

Ran it for a bit and couldn't see any leaks into the driver's footwell.

Will run it tomorrow for longer and see what I can see in the daylight.

I did get a piccy looking up from the pedals and there seems to be something dripping down. God knows where it's coming from, but I have double-checked and the stuff wetting the carpet is plain water. There is no smell to it and it has the feel and consistency of water.

IMG_20240109_170616.jpg

I did get a piccy looking up from the pedals and there seems to be something dripping down.

Leak from the plenum chamber I would suspect....

Under the bonnet, between the engine compartment, and the cabin, there are usually two panels, forming a sort of box, below the windscreen. The bottom of the box will have drains in each corner, to allow rain which gets in, to escape and drain away. Leaves and other debris can block the drains, hence the compartment fills with water, which has to overflow somewhere.

Is there a scuttle area under the bonnet, behind rubber strip, under plastic trim.

Is it full of water, or some water in there? Any drain tubes or holes (often rubber tubes) they get blocked easily and water feeds backwards into the car

Edit, Harry was quicker

Had a quick look under the bonnet earlier, but it was going dark, so I will have another look tomorrow in full daylight.

Thanks both.

Sponsored Links
Back