Scratched rear lens.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rear lens on my wifes Citreon Picasso has a few scratches across the clear, (reversing?), section. She watched a video on how to remove them on YT which involved various grades of wet & dry paper and finally polishing with a drill driven buffer pad.
Does this really work and, if so, do you need any 'special' paste as a cutting compound?
Or is it a fake and she will need to buy a whole lens unit?

Sponsored Links
I knew there was a recent thread...

Yes, it can be done. I've polished up scratched perspex by this method, finishing off with Brasso.

...although for exterior use, a sealer is essential.

That seems to be for lenses which have oxidised though. What she has are actual 'gouge' like scratches.

The odd deep scratch shouldn’t affect the MOT if that’s a worry, but a clouded lens could be.
If it’s a red lens then white light mustn’t show through.
The lamp units are available from motor factors at a reasonable price which you could consider.....it could take a good while to polish those scratches out, but of course it is possible.
John

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t bother about the scratches, as long as there’s no white light showing, it should be ok. unless it is really unsightly?

Thanks guys. It's the reversing light so it will be white light anyway.
Think I'll have a look at replacing the lens cover. Much easier than spending hours polishing.

Sadly it will probably be the entire lamp shell you'll need - minus the bulb holder unit which is separate of course.
Motor factors are much cheaper than main dealers, and I've never had a problem with these pattern parts.
John :)

I had cracks in the rear cluster on my wifes C4 grand - and found these guys
Breakers

Feb 2020 - they took a picture of the part and sent it to me before i purchase the rear light cluster

They are in Norwich and used Parcel force for delivery - all well packed up , and perfect

Also discussed via chat/email through the 1st choice system before purchasing

I have not had good experiences of these sort of sites, findmybuilder and the like
but 1st choice spares seems to have worked out ok for me
as i say back in 2020

Attachments

• IMG_5336.JPG
    IMG_5336.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 74
Sandpaper out the scratches and then polish with compound. Compounds are just paste equivalent of sandpaper for fine sanding.

Sponsored Links
Back