Screaming Mectron 3BM Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post!

I shut down my Mectron 3BM oil boiler some 5 - 10 years ago when the price of oil became unacceptably high. But with the price more than halving recently I decided to get 2,000 litres in so with a nice full tank I bled the system through, switched on the power and fired it up ... it lit first time :) but then came the usual 'but', it was screaming! I suspect a dry bush (don't know what it spins in until I delve deeper). Could it be a bush that has gone dry with it standing idle for so long? If so is it a strip down job or should I look for some form of lubrication facility?

I have no idea of the make-up on the motor/pump arrangement and while I'm happy to apply a spanner to anything I like to check my options first. :)

Hoping someone can remember these old boilers. :)

Sponsored Links
It'll have one of the oldie but goody Riello burners, David - and the screaming will be from either the motor itself, with dry bearings, or the oil pump - unfortunately no external lubrication is possible so dismantling is necessary.
The motor bearings are dead cheap - the oil pump somewhat less so. Purely at a guess I'd think it was the motor.
John :)

Sponsored Links
as above, but also check the hydraulic ram for leaks. It won't be the cause of screaming, but can be a very annoying smelling leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back