Can you replace a RDB pump with a Riello Mectron pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi two questions, that would be very helpful to have answered. Questions on how interchangeable oil pumps are.
Can you replace a faulty RDB pump with a Riello Mectron oil pump, and vice versa?
Is there any possible way that a danfoss oil pump could be used on a RDB burner.
Would be really interested to know the answer to these questions.

PS I have never came across a boiler that uses a oil pump with a twin solenoid coil. If I did come across one at Christmas time, and could not order one in for a week, is there any possible way a standard danfoss pump can be used, until a new twin solenoid coil pump can be purchased.
Yes I am OFTEC registered for 15 years, with my own business. I have always replaced like for like, apart from two weeks ago I could not get hold of a sunten oil pump for a week, so changed it for a Danfoss 21L3, and it fitted and worked perfectly. I am now curious how interchangeable oil pumps really are, and what experiences other oil engineers have had. Thank you for any help you can give me,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi two questions, that would be very helpful to have answered. Questions on how interchangeable oil pumps are.
Can you replace a faulty RDB pump with a Riello Mectron oil pump, and vice versa?
Is there any possible way that a danfoss oil pump could be used on a RDB burner.
Would be really interested to know the answer to these questions.

PS I have never came across a boiler that uses a oil pump with a twin solenoid coil. If I did come across one at Christmas time, and could not order one in for a week, is there any possible way a standard danfoss pump can be used, until a new twin solenoid coil pump can be purchased.
Yes I am OFTEC registered. The answers to these questions would help me out a lot, and let me know what the minimum amount of parts I can store in my van. Thank you for any help you can give me,

RDB, Mectron and Danfoss are not interchangeable.
So you are now an Oftec registered Technician ????? Excuse me whilst I snigger !!!
I would suggest that a little homework is in order before launching yourself on the unsuspecting public !
Yet more "Lucky Bags".

So you are now an Oftec registered Technician ????? Excuse me whilst I snigger !!!
I would suggest that a little homework is in order before launching yourself on the unsuspecting public !
Yet more "Lucky Bags".
I seriously doubt you would know what you are talking about. RDB and Mectron are both made by Riello and look the same. I wanted to know if a RDB and Mectron have been interchanged by anyone. You don't sound like someone that would know.
I have worked as a plumber and been OFTEC qualified for 15 years. Just because I am asking if anyone has tried something does not mean I am just out of college.

Sponsored Links
Oh hell man get a grip carry two riello pumps and BFP 11l3and 11r3 coils and photo cells hoses
nozzles you'll have to get used to ********. I've seen pumps interchanged but no good comes of it and it'll give you a bad name.bob
None of this answers my question. Have you any experience in doing the things I am talking about? If so what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet more "Lucky Bags".
I have a successful business going with great customer feedback and only 5/5 reviews. *************

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously doubt you would know what you are talking about. RDB and Mectron are both made by Riello and look the same. I wanted to know if a RDB and Mectron have been interchanged by anyone. You don't sound like someone that would know.
I have worked as a plumber and been OFTEC qualified for 15 years. Just because I am asking if anyone has tried something does not mean I am just out of college.

You should have gone to Specsavers!

You have obviously not worked with these pumps as you would have noticed (or maybe not) that RDB has a male HP connection and Mectron female ..
The solenoid stems are different and RDB has two wire coil whilst the Mectron has 3.

God I remember when ladas first came out bloke I worked with bought one and the petrol cap bust so he went into a motor discount shop and said have you got a petrol cap for a Lada and the guy behind the counter said that seems like a fair swop. Ha ha god did I laugh

Unbelievable ask a sensible question, and get a bunch of ignorant idiots replying. Terry could of just said you could change the solenoid stem, and the connections from the RDB, to the Mectron pump and it would work, if you can not get your hands on the exact pump for a week, but no he has to replying in a complete idiotic way again. Yes I know the Mectron solenoid has three wires you idiot, as previously stated I have been doing this job for 15 years.
If you don't know what you are taking about please don't reply to anyone's question.

Wrong my friend Terry is a very knowledgeable person and you could learn from him so instead of bad mouthing him stop asking daft questions and making yourself look a xxxt.Bob

I see that the mods have been interfering again for no good reason!
Is OP a mod??

Unbelievable ask a sensible question, and get a bunch of ignorant idiots replying. Terry could of just said you could change the solenoid stem, and the connections from the RDB, to the Mectron pump and it would work, if you can not get your hands on the exact pump for a week, but no he has to replying in a complete idiotic way again. Yes I know the Mectron solenoid has three wires you idiot, as previously stated I have been doing this job for 15 years.
If you don't know what you are taking about please don't reply to anyone's question.

15 years, yet you have not noticed that the stems are completely different fixings ??
Do you think that Riello make different pumps for the hell it??

If you are OFTEC and are an established service engineer/ technician offering a service, how come you don't routinely carry stock?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back