Can you replace a RDB pump with a Riello Mectron pump?

If you are OFTEC and are an established service engineer/ technician offering a service, how come you don't routinely carry stock?

Being Oftec reg proves only that the person has parted with a sizeable wedge of cash. No guarantee of competence !!

Sponsored Links
I am a gas engineer and have dabbled once in a while with oil boilers, but know absolutely nothing about them, but this thread has been an interesting read, just hope Tony learns as much when he reads threads about Gas boilers

Rdb and mectron oil pumps are slightly different but I have come across them being used on each others burner by changing the connector that feeds the nozzle from the pump. The stems are different but they will work. What I didn't know was that you can adapt a danfoss 21r3 to work on a rdb burner. I saw 1 like this over the weekend, have no idea exactly what they changed to get it working, but its definitely working. I think the guy who did it, has done it very deliberately as he maybe had no faith in riello pumps. Let's face it the riello oil pumps from about 5 to 10 years weren't very good. They are improved now but if as good as a danfoss pump I'm not sure.

Rdb and mectron oil pumps are slightly different but I have come across them being used on each others burner by changing the connector that feeds the nozzle from the pump. The stems are different but they will work. What I didn't know was that you can adapt a danfoss 21r3 to work on a rdb burner. I saw 1 like this over the weekend, have no idea exactly what they changed to get it working, but its definitely working. I think the guy who did it, has done it very deliberately as he maybe had no faith in riello pumps. Let's face it the riello oil pumps from about 5 to 10 years weren't very good. They are improved now but if as good as a danfoss pump I'm not sure.
It wasn't to do with the pumps specifically - the reducing sulphur content in the kerosene caused increased wear, leading to a shorter than expected lifespan on the pumps. Once this was noticed to be a problem, pump designs were modified to cope

Sponsored Links
I do know exactly what ur saying about the sulphur but there did seem to be more problems with the riello pumps than the danfoss pumps, also I would personally come across a lot more riello burners than any other makes.

Basically it comes down to this I was told On a riello course not to swop pumps or parts so that is why I carry a good stock of spares including two types of riello pumps.I also carry danfoss pumps and coils photo cells.I also carry other spares as a good service engineer should do.If an engineer swops bits and pieces from different pumps the pumps in question in my experience do not last long.

I'd say your definitely correct , your better changing like for like, I'm just saying it can be done. I've also seen a heating merchants advertising pumps to replace riello, not sure of the price or that they are any good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back