Riello RDB grief

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a riello that's giving me grief.

Wouldn't start a few days back, checked oil was flowing (esp after cold snap) replaced the oil pump and worked for less than 24 hours before cutting out.
did notice rust on the inside of the old oil pump and on the motor casing. Also, the replacement pump was warm to the touch when it cut out, the rest of the system was cold.

I've an old burner I'm using for spare parts and replaced the solenoid and capacitor to no avail, clutching at straws here.. could it be the motor?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its an old boiler,then it might not be an RDB burner?

Na, when I say old, it's from a friend that had it replaced when getting a condensing boiler fitted. It's the same burner, same layout, control box, capacitor etc.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by 'cutting out'?

Lock out lights up, press it, goes to stage one then click which I presume is the solenoid then you can here the electrodes firing, no oil pumping obviously.

So is it the oil pump or the motor, seems odd to me to have a second oil pump fail so soon?

P.S Excuse my ignorance, I've sod all knowledge of CH, just what I've read online :)

What do you mean by 'cutting out'?

Lock out lights up, press it, goes to stage one then click which I presume is the solenoid then you can here the electrodes firing, no oil pumping obviously.

So is it the oil pump or the motor, seems odd to me to have a second oil pump fail so soon?

P.S Excuse my ignorance, I've s** all knowledge of CH, just what I've read online :)

Have you bled the pump and made sure that the oil pressure is correct for the burner, usually about 8 Bar. Is it a one pipe or two pipe oil system, ie, is there one or two pipes going into the pump, have you set the pump for one or two pipe. The rust around your old pump indicates that you have got water in the oil line and should be flushed out with new oil filters fitted. Did you renew the the coupler that that connects the oil pump shatf to the motor shaft???????????.

As soon as you press the lockout lamp button, the burner should start its purge phase...lasts around 8 seconds when the motor runs, spinning the fan to push fresh air up the chimney....after that the oil is turned on by the coil on top of the pump. Is it doing this, do you think?
John :)

Sorry, I don't know how to check if the oil pressure is correct.
It's a single feed (not a tiger loop)
There's no filter on the tank and hopefully getting that fitted soon.
Coupling wasn't renewed, just took the old pump off this other burner and fitted it.

The burner goes through all the normal phases, can hear what I think it the solenoid clicking, and the electrodes fire as I disconnected it from the boiler and could see them arcing. Just no oil coming though, feed from tank is fine.

All these problems started back during the cold snap (-10) we had recently, I imagine the water in the oil froze and damaged something?

Have you got a spare coil (3 wires) that sits on the oil pump to try? It needs to have its steel surround in place too.

Have you got a spare coil (3 wires) that sits on the oil pump to try? It needs to have its steel surround in place too.

Yeah, replaced the solenoid with the one from the other burner but still no oil.

Got someone hopefully coming down tonight to have a look at it . Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll post an update if I get it fixed, my bet is that water has seeped into the motor.

Yeah, replaced the solenoid with the one from the other burner but still no oil.

Got someone hopefully coming down tonight to have a look at it . Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll post an update if I get it fixed, my bet is that water has seeped into the motor.

Tell him to fit a new oil nozzle. ;) ;)

When the 'new' oil pump was mothballed after being replaced, was it filled with oil and plugged? If it had gone dry, then you will probably find that it is now useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back