Screed dry in 1 day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Due to level issues I dug up my old floor and re screeded at 21mm. I know this is pushing the boundaries as it is very thin but I decided to give it a go.

Process was as follows:

- Got Level off of next room floor and make concrete strips across the room to run a straight edge along to level screed (draw across) - no requirement for wooden battens
- Wet the underlying concrete slab 3 times the night before and twice in the morning
- Applied a SBR/Cement slurry prior to laying screed
- Mixed screed up at 3:1 with a few glugs of SBR (sharp sand:cement) - wetness probably between mortar wet and traditional screed mix.
- Poured screed down on floor and spread with trowel
- Straight edge across the concrete strips to draw excess off
- Finish off with trowel where necessary

Many people have said a screed of 21mm will take 3 weeks to dry. I get home after 1 day and it seems solid. SEE PICS for colour etc.....

Is this correct and may I ask why screeding isn't just done like a concrete mix (i.e. wetter). No cracks seem to have appeared even at 21mm. Being wetter seems a much easier way to get a decent result????? And it sets quickly?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back