Laying quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to extend the outdoor patio in a new ground floor apartment in Spain. The existing 20cm x 20cm quarry tiles are set in an approx 5cm thick concrete bed laid over compacted soil.

In extending the patio, is a 5cm concrete base really thick enough for everyday use? I'm planning a 1 cement: 3 sand: 6 aggregate mix - would that be OK?

Should the tiles be immediately laid directly onto the concrete as soon as it is levelled or should they be laid in a sand / cement screed once the concrete base is dry? If the latter, is a 1:3 mix for a 5mm screed enough?

Any other tips for this Easter holiday job will be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Most concrete patios are about 4" (10cm) thick,your mix sounds ok,use 20mm aggregate.

Let the concrete dry out a bit.
You should then be ok to lay the tiles directly onto the concrete but I would use powdered adhesive rather than a cement screed although at one time that is how all tiles were fixed.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I think in Spain these tiles are still laid on cement, so not sure if adhesive is available. If I set them in cement screed would a 1:3 mix say 5mm deep be OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back