Screed Drying Time - Shortcuts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kind of feel like I'm missing a trick here! So I've screened the floor in my extension - was pretty deep, about 80-90mm in all. New build, so dpm, slab, insulation, vapour barrier then screed.

But regarding the drying time which seems to be months - how do people work around this when doing bathrooms and kitchens. For example, I've got a downstairs toilet that will be tiled - usual course of action would be to fit the tiles then toilet.

Additionally, it'll probably need a bit of levelling compound on.

So what do people do here? Have I literally got to wait 3 months before I can put my toilet in?

I've got a similar issue with the kitchen because we have some gaps for freestanding appliances

Sponsored Links
Mapei topcem screed dries in 24 hours.....wouldve been a better option, but thats a bit late now.

however now you can use an uncoupling mat like ditra below tiles.

I havent any knowledge of the liquid moisture suppressants that dazlight suggests so cant advise on those

Sponsored Links
Another solution is Mapei ESM, a 2-pack resin which seals in the moisture. A bit of acfaff to use but has worked well.on several commercial oak floors I've been involved with installing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back