Advice needed - new kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, so hi all!

I have searched but can't find anything that really answers this question, so here goes...

We have just had a new kitchen extension built with the adjoining wall removed giving us a large square kitchen, half 'new' and half existing. The new bit has a concrete floor (100mm concrete on 100mm insulation on 100mm hardcore with dpm each side of the insulation with an allowance for a 50mm screed). It was originally planned to leave the old part of the floor in place (100mm concrete on dpm on earth) but I've had second thoughts and am in the process of digging this out to replicate the new floor. When I've finished this floor I'll get the whole floor screeded (50mm).

The trouble is that we need to allow the concrete floor to dry before we can floor it (quarry tiles) and from what I've read, this will be about 6 months. Now we can't be without our kitchen for 6 more months (currently 'camping' in the garage!).

Would it be normal (or acceptable) to get the kitchen fitted onto the screed with some sort of temporary permeable flooring and then get tiled in 6 months time after the concrete has dried (tiled to just behind the plinths)? Or would the screed end up getting too damaged for tiling?

We're in a bit of a quandry here but we really need to get the kitchen installed and useable as soon as possible. Any advice appreciated.
ta
Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back